Had a go at a restore

Well I'm no craftsman and my one attempt at scale making was poor but I found a razor in a collectables shop and got it for £5.

iyzt51.jpg

33z8ggj.jpg

Well I set to with some sand paper and then with some Autosol I wasn't aiming for a mirror finish as I like some age to show.

I have some horn that I ordered and never got round to using so I used one of the scales (they needed replacing as one was split) to draw a template and then altered the design a little bit.

I have never worked with horn before and don't really know what you should doe with it, I suppose I could have researched it 1st, but it stinks like burned hair when working it.

I rough cut it with a band saw then shaped it with a grind stone before refining it with various grades of sand and wet and dry paper. Since I'm not practised at peening I used M6 bolts to secure it and I managed to reuse the original lead spacer.

There were some chips in the blade that needed honing out and then I honed it using 3 layers of tape, finishing on a Naniwa 12K.

The maker looks like ATHENSON BROS Sheffield although I can't find any reference to them.

Here is the result.

iz179h.jpg

2le1eex.jpg

2myykab.jpg

261gqdh.jpg

nxqsyf.jpg

9zoqk4.jpg

nzls3q.jpg

zva64i.jpg

That looks pretty good Nic. Where did you get black bone?

I worked some giraffe bone scales recently, it was much harder than working with either wood or horn - no fun to sand at all.

Ooops it was getting a bit late last night, it was horn not bone! Edited the post to correct it, I bought it on ebay ages ago. The shave was great so I'm happy with it.

Very nice job, Nic! And a good shaver to boot - can't be bad!

Maker couldn't be 'Atkinson Bros' could it? Some authorities on the net date the firm back to 1845, but this cannot be - both the founders, Edward & John Atkinson were too young, Ernest being born in 1848 and John in 1850. Their father was not in the cutlery trade - he was a draper - and they both worked as cutlery clerks for other companies in 1871. The firm was probably started in 1876. Their corporate mark '3340' goes back to 1815 (it belonged to others at that time). Another of their corporate marks - '3709' belonged to Ebenzer Parker & Sons and was acquired in 1884. They als0 had a picture of a bear with 'in mind' under it - bear in mind!

Although not specifically involved in the making of razors (they were associated with scissors, pen-knives and table cutlery) they did buy in from other makers and acted as 'factors'.

Might not be them though - yours has some sort of curious mark half hidden by the scales which I can't quite make out.

Regards,
Neil

Great job! I love people bringing old razors back to life. It's like sticking 2 fingers up at the cartridge manufacturers, you certainly wont be able to give a Mach 3 a sand down and and new handle in 100 years or so and use it :)

Just looking at the profile of that blade it looks like a true wedge? I haven't set my eyes on many, they are mostly 'near' wedges. If you get a chance put a straight edge on that blade and see if it's concave at all.

Cheers & well done.

Back
Top Bottom