Gillette Super Stainless (AKA The Spoiler)

[attachment=0]

I recently picked up 2 packs of these Gillette Super Stainless which are sometimes referred to as “The Spoiler” blades for €7.50 delivered (about £6.60) with five blades in each pack this worked out at 66p a blade delivered, which is very expensive. They were on mr-razor's e-Bay shop and the last ones he had listed, if he had more it would have drastically reduced the proce with shipping discount. This is a lot for me to pay for a blade but these have quite a following on B&B, I recently seen a bulk lot of them go for silly money on the bay so I was interested to try them and see what the fuss was about and for the sake of £6 I thought why not.

Some people may say that they don't want to try something that is no longer available as this would spoil them for any other product after it (no pun intended here). I don't understand this thinking, that’s like someone offering you a seat on the last Concorde flight and you saying "No thanks it would just spoil me because I would be so annoyed having to cross the Atlantic at subsonic speeds the next time" I know someone that traveled on Concorde it and apparently it was not that comfy compared to modern jets so just as well it did the journey in a few hours.

Anyway back to the blades and having established why a crackpot like me would post a review for something you can't buy sensibly any more, onto the blades themselves.

The blades come in the usual plastic Gillette holder with space in back for the used ones, not much more to be said for that really. The blades themselves however are very very good. If you read some reviews you'd be forgiven for thinking that they were made of unobtainium, they are not that good, but they are probably the smoothest blade I have ever tried.

At the weekend I really went for it with these, I loaded one up my favourite Aristocrat #16. The Aristocrat #16 is quite a nice razor and a lot of the 82 gram weight is in the handle so it is easy to control but can give quite an aggressive shave if you try a little (as most razors can do if pushed) I am three shaves in now, the first on Saturday with Tabac, then Cade and today with Yardley Gold cream and all three shaves have been irritation free. Saturday I had quite a thorough shave. When using Tabac I am a little more adventurous and went at it from every angle including my normally easily irritated areas. I know after a shave like that I should have had a face so red it could be seen from space but nothing, no drama just a nice clean shave. I pushed it and repeated this on Sunday with Cade soap and again a great shave with absolute minimal irritation, the little rash I got was from me being too lazy to re-lather an area that I had to touch up.

I would caveat the above wonderful shaves with the fact that this was the weekend, the sun was shining (which always does unusual things to Scottish people) and I had all the time in the world for loads of face prep. I have managed to get the same irritation free shave from other blades but again only with enough prep. So am I contradicting myself? no these were still smoother than Swedes or any other blade.

Today was a normal weekday 2 pass shave with touch up using the Yardley cream, admittedly it was not as good a shave and I am not sure whether to go for a fourth with it. I am sure I felt a slight tugging today and put this down to the blade being used for two very aggressive shaves. I may try this blade for the first pass tomorrow but have a standby ready, just in case. Some say they get seven or more shaves out of these but I don't get that from any blade, my mantra is normally bin it after three shaves, so I say bollocks to seven shaves with any blade. For the cost of the blade it is not worth it. At 66p a blade these weren’t cheap but I have seen people sell Swedes for similar figures.

I would recommend if you see a packet of these at not a bad price, and you are not of the mindset that doesn't want to get frustrated because you find you really like something that is now very hard to find, If you don't want to try them then buy them and PM me and I will buy them, I would definitely buy more but they are not worth loads of money. 66p was OK for just the ten blades but I would not pay that again for them.

The acid test is how they fare with the usual time constrained routine during the week. Next one will go in the HD, the razor I know best and have owned the longest. I will them try one in an open comb and send the two remaining blades to someone that is interested in trying them.

Attachments

• Spoiler.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 371
I decided to leave the blade in for the fourth shave. Went fine, no different to using a Personna on the second day, quick two pass shave with touch ups. I even reduced the protection from the soap using Proraso green tub, I find Proraso to be a great soap but not as protective as some other soaps like Tabac etc, but again a nice clean shave with no irritated spots.

Do I go for a fifth?

I did not. Yesterday I got a three instead of a five o'clock shadow so i ditched the blade and loaded a new one into the HD. Quick 2 pass shave with Tabac, fantastic shave. These are proving to be nice blades but again I do not think they are worth the price they are fetching.

Back
Top Bottom