Gillette Long Black Beauty - is it repairable?

Yes I have a "broken" T3 long handled Black Beauty. I first got it last autumn when my techniques were still very much burgeoning. On it's first few uses then, the centre 4cm handle section rotated as I tried to unlock the TTO and I left it, slightly puzzled, after a couple of go's and my RAD went off in another direction. I did try it again later when I was more confident with my technique and it then seemed that the adjustment, well, wasn't - pretty much stuck on a mild cut no matter where the dial was set, and the handle still rotated when trying to unlock the TTO to remove the blade.

Today I've had another play with it and that middle section, just below the dial, was still rotate-able and almost un-screwable and whilst trying to tighten it I seemed to have knackered the razor. The adjustment collar will no longer turn around - it looks like I have broken the spring that lives in the slot just above that collar and that has locked it.

So, do you guys think it's best to put it down to experience and leave it as a rather nice looking razor to live out it's days on my bathroom shelf? Or, is it possibly repairable for a reasonable cost?

I'd try taking it apart, cleaning and lubricating the pieces with mineral oil, and attempting a reassembly. At worst you'll end up with a broken razor, which is what you already have now.

If the centre handle spins, then it looks like the thread at the top (near the head) has become unglued / unstuck.

When mine did it the TTO dial still turned, and the adjustment wheel turned also.

What happens when you hold the head & turn the TTO?

Back
Top Bottom