Gillette Diplomat

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough UK guide price for very good condition Y-3 gillette diplomat. I have just aquired one and was thinking of moving it on to top up the piggy bank for the dream razor. I know I know...only worth what someone will pay etc... but if anyone could give me a rough idea it would help with the listing. Saying that i havn't shaved with it yet and it is very pretty so it might end up a keeper.

[attachment=5027]

Attachments

• DSC_0192 resize.jpg
    DSC_0192 resize.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 50
Yeah found those too but they are all in the States, I guess that these are not as common in the UK, I noticed that Executive shaving has one listed for £194.30 but out of stock?? seems a lot even for retail

toastwars said:
Yeah found those too but they are all in the States, I guess that these are not as common in the UK, I noticed that Executive shaving has one listed for £194.30 but out of stock?? seems a lot even for retail

Hi there,

That is a somewhat....optimistic price, but sometimes people will find the convenience outweighs the cost. I don't believe the site expects to have many buyers, but who knows.

Definitely, take the Diplomat for test drive. Don't worry about it showing any wear, since those types have very good plating that holds up well.

I have one (1955) in my rotation and it's one of my favorite fixed head razors. You won't see many in the UK, especially in the wild, but here in Chicago I run into em occasionally.

If you like how it shaves, the US made Aristocrat and Presiident will perform in a similar way.

Martin

Thanks Dodgy, for another informed reply. Just waiting for some stubble growth to give it a try, the more I look at it the less inclined I am to sell it, guess thats the rub with razor gathering. had a nice time with a 58 TV special last night, great shave but not for me so its gone on the bay now, hopefully also a rarity this side of the pond so I can add to the bank of paypal, I am on the look out for an open comb atistocrat/sheraton/senator if you see any let me know.
Damion

I think you have been very fortunate to acquire one of these and probably not likely to come across many in the future.

As NtS stated around £40-50 would be about right, you have the condition but no original box/blades.

I am sure if you decide to sell you'll have a dozen instant 'pms' for one in great condition as you have, in fact I bet you've had a few offers already.

What ever you decide make sure you use it, thats what they are for!

toastwars said:
I am on the look out for an open comb atistocrat/sheraton/senator if you see any let me know.
Damion

The OC 1934 type Aristo is the pick of that lot. Best build and it feels nicest in the hand. Balance is lots better. Plus, that barberpole handle is one I'm a sucker for. Seems to me the heads are similar shave wise,

A small step up from the Aristocrat would be the UK made Popular. Beautiful piece with what looks like a similar head as the other three. I was gifted with what I think is a 1939 Popular (thank you hissingskunk) and it's quite a flashy little number. That OC design wasn't used for many Gillette models.

Only problem with those is you don't see em a lot. Well that, and they can also be a little expensive for one in nice shape.

Something to think about,

Martin

I think you are right A-W, it is a beautiful razor and the weight is great, feels excelent in the hand. I did buy it to sell on, the photos did not do it justice and i thought it would need replating. it was described as an aristocrat so i guess got lucky, so why look a gift horse in the mouth and maybe change from a gatherer to a collector. i han't wanted to describe myself as that but I started doing this because I love shaving and razors and found that a little gathering and selling could make a bit on the side and it was always fun looking for unusual razors. I am sitting here at the moment with the latest aquisitions (1958 TV special, Fat handled Tech, Diplomat, 40s Superspeed, 60s flair tip superspeed and a boxed 1939 3 piece open comb) and it feels nice to have some quality well designed razors to hand, even if they do get sold on i am positive that they will be enjoyed, and thats a nice feeling. I like to be a missionary for DE wet shaving.

Yes Martin I just missed out on a #47 pattern and it did look just what I was looking for, I am really looking forward to trying any of those that you list.

I have Sheraton that is now a Senator as I had re-plated by Dave because the plating was rough. Probably end up on BST as I am not fond of the razor. All part of trying out razors I guess.........))

missingskin said:
I have Sheraton that is now a Senator as I had re-plated by Dave because the plating was rough. Probably end up on BST as I am not fond of the razor. All part of trying out razors I guess.........))

What's doin missingjunk,

Yeah, I have a Sheraton I never use anymore. It's not that it's a bad razor, because it's really one of the few OC types that fit me pretty well. I just don't care much for the design of that head on a 1940s type superspeed handle combo.

If I want that type of shave I'll use the 1934 type or the Popular.

Marv

Diplomat update....so tried the razor and really enjoyed it, decided it was a keeper but would you belive just won another that was incorectly listed as an aristocrat (Item number: 261051212350) ebay, in an aristocrat box, this one will be replated so i guess dave will have save a bit of room in the bath for me and then it will go up for sale. Its always a nice feeling to have a story behind the razor too.

Not having the case devalues it a bit. For the razor alone I'd say $65-$100 depending on condition. If you had the case and the plating was in good shape, you could easily get $150 for it.

Back
Top Bottom