Gillette Contour (Contour Plus) an Old Friend Re-visited.

Gillette Contour (Contour Plus) an Old Friend Re-visited - I have posted this here as it doesnt fit into any other bit of the forum really

Back in the dark old days of pre DE shaving , when i moved on from Bic Disposables I bought a Gillette Contour, actually I was given one by my father, then I bought a metal handled one. The one I first used was Identical to this:-

I got this one as part of a batch bought from Sunburys Razor Sale. I stocked up on Contour Plus blades off ebay and used one today.
I adopted my usual shave routine, so hot shower, followed by sink full of hot water, hot flannel on my whiskers and lathering up using TOBS cream and my New Forest 2202 custom brush.
Frankly I was both surprised and disappointed by the shave. The blades ( made in Germany) didn’t feel as keen as a DE blade, there was some tugging by the blade on tougher whiskers. This might be down to the weight - I was surprised at how light this was, perhaps I am so used to my Ikon these days.

I lathered up again and went for a second pass against the grain and again felt that the blades were not as keen as I have been used to.

I bought this partly to reminisce and partly to have a “quick” razor for days when I need a quick shave and cant be bothered with the DE ritual. Having revved this one up today, I honestly think that a good shave can be achived with a quick DE shave using a small light Gillette Tech head (rather than the fatter Ikon head). This is probably going to be popped back into the tin to await another round of “nostalgia”.

Re: Gillette Contour (Contour Plus) an Old Friend Re-visited

I have a metal Contour Handle that i use when i need an ultra quick shave, i use it with the Double blades you can get from Tesco, you get 10 for £2.50 ish, i got a load when they were on offer, £1.75 for 25 blades. give good results but not as close as a DE Razor / Blade

I've still got my metal handled "plus" version complete with holder that I bought c.1988 to replace a Personna DE and disposables. I then replaced it with a Sensor Excel about 10 or so years ago (I think)

For a quick shave I can't see the Contour being any better than a DE razor as the blades are fixed (even though the head moves). I bought one initially to save the faff with changing DE blades and the fact that disposables like Bic and Blue II irritated me.

The relevation with the Sensor was that the blades were sprung - so readily adapted to the contours of your face.

I still think the Sensor is a great razor, the blades are just a rip off though.

I'm with PeterF all the way on this one. I've still got my Sensor Xcell handle & a couple of boxes of heads. If Gillette hadn't been linked in to the endless change concept of marketing I still can't see why they would ever have needed to progress further than the Sensor. Two blades , whilst not absolutely needed do at least have a basis on scientific grounding, (although I forget the techy name for clipping the last bit of stubble prior to retraction).

JohnnyO.

The cynic in me say's that Gillette are selling substandard Contours as they want you to upgrade to a Fusion! But I had some great shaves with Morrison's 'made in Israel' multifit twinblade cartridges. I have a GII handle, but they'll fit GIIs and Contours. I'd guess the Tesco and Superdrug 'made in Israel' multifits are the same. Much cheaper than Gillettes too. Give em a go!

I remember the Contour and Vector but of them all the Sensor (non excel) was my favoutire, I have a stash of Sensor blades and it is the only cartridge I will use.

slowblade said:
The cynic in me say's that Gillette are selling substandard Contours as they want you to upgrade to a Fusion! But I had some great shaves with Morrison's 'made in Israel' multifit twinblade cartridges. I have a GII handle, but they'll fit GIIs and Contours. I'd guess the Tesco and Superdrug 'made in Israel' multifits are the same. Much cheaper than Gillettes too. Give em a go!

Some say those multifit cartridges are made by Personna. I was unable to confirm that yet.
Those are pretty good, but not as well as the DE and I don't like the lubricating strip. They work well in my GII and Contour handles. I have the newer Vector-style handle, those old metal ones look great.
Going to have to try the Sensor one of these days... This one should be the pinnacle of twin blade cartridges, after that everything went downhill.

I have never tried a Sensor.

The reason for purchasing the Contour was partly nostalgia, and partly to have a speedy alternative to a DE.

(my shave history went:-
Bic Disposable
Contour (first plastic then metal handle)
Souplex DE
Mach 3
Ikon (and a few other Gillette DE's)

Having used the Contour, I feel I can get just as good a finish with a DE in the same time. That said I will probably keep the handle and the blades (both NOS Contour blades and a pack of Asda own brand multifits) as its part of my shave history and reprasents the first "proper" razor that I was gifted by my father many years ago.

Audiolab said:
the Sensor (non excel) was my favourite, I have a stash of Sensor blades and it is the only cartridge I will use.

+1. I loved the original sensor and still own a Sensor Excel handle... whenever I can find the cartridges I do pick some up, but unfortunately I don't see them often enough to maintain it as my weekly shave.

Recently tried the sensor 3 blade disposeable, but they're pisspoor.

Thanks for the nostalgia Father Ted, I did once try a Contour when I was about 19-20, can't remember even whether I liked or disliked it, but I moved onto the Sensor pretty soon after as it was the Mach 3 of it's day. How easily the young are led!

"and partly to have a speedy alternative to a DE"

Try a WS Classic if you haven't already. It is the nearest, DE wise, you will get to a cartridge IMO. Reason being the narrow blade gap and plastic head. I use mine when I don't want to concentrate too much on what I'm doing and simply want to have a quick shave.

I like it and it gives an excellent shave with most blades I use.

Back
Top Bottom