'Flog It' - Shaving Gear

joe mcclaine said:
I would say it'd be closer to 10,000 but if you've asked your neighbour, that's good enough for me.

I have to admit the numbers are quiet large,until last night I had no idea that the uk was so populated,it explains why we have been waiting for a bigger council house for 4 years now and have only now got into the top 20 on the waiting list.

I'm not sure where some of the quite distasteful bile is coming from here, it's a mid-day light entertainment TV show. Chill Winston.

He was spot on by saying "not quite sure that they're valuable but they're great bits of social history". That wasn't a table full of NOS fatboys and aristocrats. It was a table of mostly tatty car boot fodder of interest to a tiny niche market.

Vintage shaving gear does not sell well or for high prices in auctions or antique shops in general, if it even comes up at all. That's why people occasionally pick up real gems for a pittance. I paid £3 or so from a dealer at a car boot for a rhodium plated TV rocket. Was the dealer an idiot? No, he knew what he could sell it for to make a profit. Was he a vintage razor super-expert? Of course not.

We're a niche market, we come way behind the stamp collectors and train spotters. I think it's far more reasonable to assume that we're paying too much on e-bay and niche sites like this.

John said:
joe mcclaine said:
I would say it'd be closer to 10,000 but if you've asked your neighbour, that's good enough for me.

I have to admit the numbers are quiet large,until last night I had no idea that the uk was so populated,it explains why we have been waiting for a bigger council house for 4 years now and have only now got into the top 20 on the waiting list.

Is that Serrell's fault to?

Vinny, I use a DE razor but my wife doesn't. That means that half the population use a DE razor, which at current population estimates means 30 million people in the UK are definitely using DEs.

NotTheStig said:
Vinny, I use a DE razor but my wife doesn't. That means that half the population use a DE razor, which at current population estimates means 30 million people in the UK are definitely using DEs.

No I don't think that half of the population use a de razor( yet ) I have been trying to get figures on how meny people have been turning to de razors, but no one wants to talk. But you don't have to be blind to see the Internet sale's are up, when I started shaving with de razors 2 years ago if my memory servs me well,apart from e bay ,I think google served up about 4 pages to do with De razors and now that's gone up to 40 pages,so it's an indication at least that people are discovering for them selves the de razor. It's food for thought isn't it:)

chrisbell said:
There has probably been a small increase in the popularity of DE shaving, but I doubt it's even as many as 10,000 users in the UK. My guesstimate would be somewhere around 6-8000.

It's a good start, I notice that P&G who own Gillette have now opened a Internet store called eStore,I also noticed that of course no de razors so I have e mail them asking why that is exactly ? I am awaiting a reply.....

John said:
chrisbell said:
There has probably been a small increase in the popularity of DE shaving, but I doubt it's even as many as 10,000 users in the UK. My guesstimate would be somewhere around 6-8000.

It's a good start, I notice that P&G who own Gillette have now opened a Internet store called eStore,I also noticed that of course no de razors so I have e mail them asking why that is exactly ? I am awaiting a reply.....

Yes, why is that exactly?

Umm . . . money?

What does it matter? Opinions such as the 'expert' which minimise the interest can only be good for those of us that want to use them without paying through the nose. The alternative is a proliferation in vintage razor restorers (scrub and polish) exhibiting nicely lit photo's with a comparatively huge price tag and unscrupulous dealers on the bay and like, trading on a brand - even though the piece for sale really is just rubbish.

The same happened in vintage Lambretta parts a few years ago.

God help us if some famous star of music or screen comes out of the closet and declares undying love for Techies, Aristo's and Fatboy's - not even sloppy seconds left for the rest of us.

Sssshhhsshhh.....let's just keep it to ourselves![/align]

YorkNeil said:
What does it matter? Opinions such as the 'expert' which minimise the interest can only be good for those of us that want to use them without paying through the nose. The alternative is a proliferation in vintage razor restorers (scrub and polish) exhibiting nicely lit photo's with a comparatively huge price tag and unscrupulous dealers on the bay and like, trading on a brand - even though the piece for sale really is just rubbish.

The same happened in vintage Lambretta parts a few years ago.

God help us if some famous star of music or screen comes out of the closet and declares undying love for Techies, Aristo's and Fatboy's - not even sloppy seconds left for the rest of us.

Sssshhhsshhh.....let's just keep it to ourselves![/align]
No shit mate,I have bean on the bay watching the price if near mint razors going nuts.it looks like people are cashing in on the troubled times / fisting the rest of us at the same time, if a celeb announces the love of vintage razor's then we will have to have an assanation bang-~~~~~~:icon_eek:

I can't imagine the number of de shavers has increased by much. A couple of people I know IRL have taken it up, but at the same time some older gents I know (those who grew up de shaving) regrettably just aren't up to de shaving any more and have chosen to go electric.

I can't guess how the resurgence in proper shaving compares with erosion (mainly due to age), but I would be surprised to see a large change either way.

I quite like being a member of an elite cadre - those who "shave like a man" :)

Drroly said:
I can't imagine the number of de shavers has increased by much. A couple of people I know IRL have taken it up, but at the same time some older gents I know (those who grew up de shaving) regrettably just aren't up to de shaving any more and have chosen to go electric.

I can't guess how the resurgence in proper shaving compares with erosion (mainly due to age), but I would be surprised to see a large change either way.

I quite like being a member of an elite cadre - those who "shave like a man" :)
Hear hear my good man well spoken. If other people want to waste money on cartrage razors that's fine with me, I personally would rather have something to show for my money, and what skill is to be had dragging a cartrage razor over your face I'll have to think about that :exclamation:

"Shave like a man"

Strange then that everyone is aiming for the same skin as you'd find on a baby's bum.

Whatever floats your boat.

Crack on.

Back
Top Bottom