first time brush restore!

Well done. Satisfying isn't it?

Very interested in the stats. Your hole was a little over 22mm. You used a 22mm knot. I suspect that at its base it was very close to 21mm giving you a snug fit. Was this the case? And what is the loft?

i didnt measure the knot at its base, i just tried it in the hole-it went in perfectly, almost no play but not tight.it was exactly the same size as a pound coin.
when you refer to loft do you mean the amount of bristle poking out of the top of the handle? that is a little over 50 mm and the handle itself is 55mm.... and yes, it is VERY satisfying! cant wait to do another =)

Sounds like the base must have been very close to 21mm. Yes - loft is the max height of the hair above the top of the handle.
And with a snug fit like you have achieved for your knot, 50mm will give a a good back bone. Some people offer a rule of thumb of 2mm above the knot size for the diameter of the hole. Given that most knots are around 1mm less at the base than the quoted knot size a 24mm hole for a typical 22mm knot would end up with a loose knot. Glue would ensure it was secured OK but the backbone would not be so firm as could be achieved with a tighter fit.

Each knot you use will vary slightly. If a knot doesn't fit, you can enlarge the hole. I prefer to squeeze the odd knot that doesn't fit gently in a vice until I get the snugness that I'm looking for. I don't make the handles personally (they are made in the workshop down the road) but I'm head of the New Forest Assembly Department!

Back
Top Bottom