First shave with a Schick.

So my latest acquisition is the Schick. This is the Type G I believe. It came from that Bay of E in Cyberland for about £15 posted. A quick soak in hot water and a scrub brought it up a treat. No polish used in these pics. Lovely brass head. Have I mentioned I like brass??? Shiny.

dc78de4b-4dfb-4e0c-aa23-1cb08fd0b198_zpswkrruofl.jpg

So a new Personna blade in from Connaughtshaving and we're good to go. I've never used a Schick before and to be honest I was a bit wary of it because of some of the things I've read about it being aggressive etc.

So the shave...Actually a good un for a first attempt with this little beauty. I wasn't going for the best shave ever not with an unknown set up and I considered the Personna blade might be similar to a GEM Personna, which can be a tad nippy on the first shave. That said I'm happy with the result. Worth mentioning is I had a cold shave...No hot water at all. Prep and shave all in cold water, and I used Ingrams cream for the first time. Well it's more like thin toothpaste than cream but lathered up like Arko in that cold water. And somebody musta stole the menthol because I didn't find any in mine. I think I like it though.

67653bcc-ca58-40e8-bf65-d85e7ce7f918_zpswgfnlqh1.jpg

So no cuts, weepers or amputations and a shave not far from as smooth as my missus's armpit. Easy peasy and not scary after all. Get the angle wrong though and it's like a chainsaw. Get it right it's lovely and smooth. Nice. I'm left with a little sensitivity on the neck. I always get some no matter what I use, have done for 35 years even with an electric shaver so I don't shave every day. This is actually minimal though and I'm pleased with the outcome.

This Schick is light and nimble. The weight is in the head with a light handle. What I like about SE razors is the ability to control the shaving angle for a mild or aggressive shave. The Type G is no different. Personality wise I'd describe the razor as efficient and fun. Yup fun. Dunno why. And it's brass which I like. I can see this getting plenty of use.

bc370126-386e-414c-8672-f7f69bc4b511_zpsj5qm824p.jpg

Greetings

That is indeed a Schick G a G1 model and a superb example. I find them delightful shaving little razors, you will find that it is the Schick E model that is more aggressive, the G,s are IMHO very gentle and user friendly.

The frame (head) is actually 'gold' plated so don't be tempted to use a powerful metal polish like Brasso on it or it will remove the plating very easily, it is however brass underneath. Your method of cleaning ie washing up liquid and a toothbrush is perfect.

Regards
Dick.

Nice post and indeed a very good shaver. I used the same model this morning. Lately I found it in a bag of about 25-30 razors on a fleamarket. The seller asked €10 and I could not say no that that offer. I happily added it to my roulation.

Thank you for the review. For me, I found it a bit like a cartridge razor. I just used once with MWF and it clogged the blade and I spent lots of time to clean it to go on shaving. Then I felt that its not useful like 2 or 3 piece razors.

theunnamed said:
Thank you for the review. For me, I found it a bit like a cartridge razor. I just used once with MWF and it clogged the blade and I spent lots of time to clean it to go on shaving. Then I felt that its not useful like 2 or 3 piece razors.

Greetings

That's really fascinating, I am a daily shaver, so to be quite fair the last person to judge a razors proclivity to clog.

I guess that if you tried to shave four or five days growth then a Schick G might well struggle, the blade gap on a Schick G, I would describe as 'Medium', the gap on the E models is quite a bit bigger and therefore I would assume less likely to clog.

I doubt Mitchells Wool Fat would be much more 'cloggy' than other soaps (it is a year or more since I last used it) so unless your beard is a Desperate Dan super thick one I am at a loss as to why you had such difficulties.

My younger brother who has a much heavier beard than me struggles with clogging with his Gillette Cartridge razor but having said that, in his words; "I shave every Friday evening whether I need one or not"!:icon_lol:

Regards
Dick.

Sorry I forgot to mention about mine :)

I used a Schick L1. I have normal stubble and used it with 2 days of growth. Maybe the thing is the MWF as you said. But It made me frustrated not taking the blade out easily to clean and put it back to go on. I sometimes experience this kind of things with my 3 piece DE's and I just loosen the head and wash it quicky and tighten it. So I just passed it to a friend of mine :)

Norfolkdick said:
theunnamed said:

Greetings

That's really fascinating, I am a daily shaver, so to be quite fair the last person to judge a razors proclivity to clog.

I guess that if you tried to shave four or five days growth then a Schick G might well struggle, the blade gap on a Schick G, I would describe as 'Medium', the gap on the E models is quite a bit bigger and therefore I would assume less likely to clog.

I doubt Mitchells Wool Fat would be much more 'cloggy' than other soaps (it is a year or more since I last used it) so unless your beard is a Desperate Dan super thick one I am at a loss as to why you had such difficulties.

My younger brother who has a much heavier beard than me struggles with clogging with his Gillette Cartridge razor but having said that, in his words; "I shave every Friday evening whether I need one or not"!:icon_lol:

Regards
Dick.

Schicks do seem to polarise opinion a bit but, for me, once you've dialled in how to use it they deliver a shave on a par with anything else. I have several Schicks and haven't had a bad shave with any of them (using Chinese Schick blades).

Whosthedaddy said:
I liked the shave my E type gave, such an instinctive angle and nice audible feedback.

Yep. I have an E model, and heartily concur. The first shave with it was like I'd been using it all my life. Very intuitive angle, and a really close shave. I could feel that it does have the potential to bite if you get the angle wrong, but the design for me was so fool proof that I have never had a moment's problem in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom