First shave with a Feather Custom Razor.

So this just popped through the door, bought from Paul of this Parish. It's like a shavette but not a shavette and like a straight but not a straight. It takes single edged blades so I'm posting it here. Confused? Here it is...

a648f480-9d7c-4e8a-bf04-befddd27d099_zpsjletl7np.jpg

The blades I got from Sally the salon supplier. They're sold as hair shaping blades.
Here's the Feather razor next to a Sanguine R5 shavette. The shavette takes normal DE blades snapped in half.

9182bb8a-f956-4469-a11c-dbe1899f858b_zpsrxypjajk.jpg

So the shave? I've just had away with 4/5 days growth and well and truly enjoyed the experience. I've got to say I've got reservations about those/that particular blade. It certainly took the whiskers off and i had an easy 2 pass WTG shave. Problems started when cleaning up some problem areas at the bottom of me neck which caused a fair bit of rash.

I'm not exactly practiced in this type of shaving so I'll reserve judgement on the blades until I've persevered some more. I did get the distinct impression the blade was done after 2 WTG passes and maybe I should have left it at that. Maybe it's my technique though who knows.

I have some Personna blades incoming which may shed some light on it. Thing is I've shaved with the shavette a few times and DE blades are well...sharper than a sharp thing so maybe I just need to adjust to the SE blades. Certainly angle and pressure are different.

The experience is also very different. Shaving with a shavette using a half DE blade requires more focus than armed robbery. It's full on and no mistake. The Feather razor feels much more relaxed and leisurely. It's much safer. Maybe I relaxed too much with it actually.

All that said despite some rash and 2 nicks on the neck it gave a very good shave. It is also outstanding for getting in close to the goatee for precise shaping. I like it already and feel with practice and some experimenting with blades I'm going to get right into it.

Thanks to Paul for the sale and speedy dispatch.

Glad it has arrived, safe and sound.

I get on fine with those blades, but the Personna are better all round. I think you're right about those Feather blades being a one or two shave maximum ... like Feather SEs and DEs, then :D Cutting through a few day's growth, yes, I think it will be past its best. Do try another though - I get on well with them, and find the shave a little like a hollow ground straight.

While we're on that idea, vary the angle ever so slightly. Try a touch one way and a touch the other way from what you think is right and what initially feels right; just change that angle slightly. I've done so with straights and what was good became really good.

Enjoy the Personna when they come ...

I had a Parker shavette persevered and got some good shaves with it. I loved the thought of using a straight razor but new I would never keep up with the stroping etc. So I went for a Kai Captain and use Feather super blades it is the best shave I have ever had and a lot easier to use than a shavette. A big difference in price but but well worth it. If anybody's thinking about getting one just do it.

Back
Top Bottom