First shave with a DE razor

I was given today what looks to be a 60's Gillette flare tip and a culmak brush, I'd bought in preparation some blades from asda to try. I've used a brush, soap and nivea balm for years so after work I excitedly told the mrs wish me luck, she made a joke about me slitting my own throat and off I went to try it out. After 3 passes with my normal razor my face feels like it's on fire this time nothing! Admittedly it's not as close, I still have a 5 o'clock shadow, but I put that down to nerves and technique. It's amazing to sit here now though with no burning and it was a very enjoyable experience compared to normal, even the razor head feels nicer gliding across my face and the weight is better compared to my normal razor.

technique should improve and give you better shaves - also blade choice will make a marked difference - think adsa only does persona blades (not tried these myself) one of the guys on here does a blade sample pack for £12 iirc. Oh and welcome to the shaving room!

Good start. Popular blade choices are most Gillette blades, Astra Superior Platinum, Personna Lab Blues (sharper versions of your supermarket ones) and Polsilvers to name a few, if you fancy trying out some others.
Derby, Wilkinson Sword (modern ones) and Supermax are popular with some but not everyone.

What shaving soap have you used? palmolive stick - 49p in the supermarkets - wiped around a wet face then lathered with your brush will do you very nicely indeed.

I have the Palmolive stick but I found it made the burning worse with my cart razor so I swapped back to erasmic but I do fancy trying some others, as for the blades I will buy a sample pack at the end of the month they are to put me on as such

Fantastic! Yes, once you have that irritation-free shave, there's no going back. Right! Ditch your old razor and master this thing - the more you practice, the better you'll get. I've been traditional shaving now for about three and a half months, and can tell you it'll take no time before you're whipping that thing around your face like a boss :D

Carry on ...

Back
Top Bottom