first scales attempt

7148391369_fffc314bf0_m.jpg

Well as the title says there it is in all its glory a Wilkinson razor that i have attempted to re scale in purple heart wood. or i think thats what it is as i have been making these or quite some time.

The original scales were broken so something had to be done i quite enjoyed making the scales but the wedge was a proper fiddley job and is not really up to standard.

May replace this or even buy one ready made. I dipped the scales in beeswax having read on srp as this is a cheap way of finishing off and they came up quite nice .

All in all for a first attempt by a bit of a woodworking duffer ( cse woodwork i actually made a milk bottle rack to small to fit a milk bottle in :icon_razz:)
not too bad and a good learning exercise.

Not the best picture to assess your fine work but heh you got it done and from what I can see made a good job of it, well done!

One of my cheats with the wedge is use a nice long piece of wedge material so you have an handle to hold whilst sanding it down to thickness.
Next I cut the wedge section off, coat with something to seal it then pin the wedge end.
Now I wrap some tape around the pivot end and sand the wedge end to shape, polish and pin the blade in...done!

Thanks jaycee thats a good tip the real mistake i made was making the scales first then trying to do the wedge.

I'm quite good at doing things the wrong way round.it may look better with a contrasting colour wedge so may do that in the future

Mikael said:
Well done Tuftey! Scales are piece of work, in it's own, for sure.
Thanks just need to get it honed then on to the next little project hopefully that may turn out nicer

Back
Top Bottom