First DE shave - totally amazing

I have struggled with shaving over the years, due to razor burn. I tried just about every disposable razor on the market, and also electric shavers and had uncomfortable results every time…. so I basically became a 'stubbly'.

I remembered as a kid, my dear old Dad DE shaving in his vest, towel over the shoulder, nicking himself, blobs of tissue on his face… etc etc, but otherwise looking quite smooth afterwards.

Today it's my 45th birthday and I decided to try old-school DE shaving (without the vest). In advance, I had bought an Edwin Jagger DE razor, Proraso sensitive (white tub), and an Alum block. I already have an old shaving brush that is shedding fast, but it was sufficient for today's test. The Proraso lathered up very nicely (my wife commented that it smelled like fresh hedge clippings) and I applied it generously to my chops. There was a very fresh, zingy, sensation from the Proraso and the smell was wonderful. I brought the razor a little hesitantly to the stubble on the right side of my face…. and it jagged. Hmmmm - not what I was expecting. I decided to wield it a little more assertively and all of a sudden it was just gliding. Confidence increased and it quickly became the speediest and most enjoyable shave of my entire life. I looked in the mirror and there was no sign of razor burn, no nicks, no cuts…. just smoothness. I then followed it up with a quick rub of the moistened Alum bar - which did cause me to wince - and all done.

I'm sure there is plenty of tinkering to be done with my set up, such as trying other blades, creams, brushes etc, but as a first DE shave goes…. this was just incredible. Best shave ever.

;)

badvoc

badvoc said:
I have struggled with shaving over the years, due to razor burn. I tried just about every disposable razor on the market, and also electric shavers and had uncomfortable results every time…. so I basically became a 'stubbly'.

I remembered as a kid, my dear old Dad DE shaving in his vest, towel over the shoulder, nicking himself, blobs of tissue on his face… etc etc, but otherwise looking quite smooth afterwards.

Today it's my 45th birthday and I decided to try old-school DE shaving (without the vest). In advance, I had bought an Edwin Jagger DE razor, Proraso sensitive (white tub), and an Alum block. I already have an old shaving brush that is shedding fast, but it was sufficient for today's test. The Proraso lathered up very nicely (my wife commented that it smelled like fresh hedge clippings) and I applied it generously to my chops. There was a very fresh, zingy, sensation from the Proraso and the smell was wonderful. I brought the razor a little hesitantly to the stubble on the right side of my face…. and it jagged. Hmmmm - not what I was expecting. I decided to wield it a little more assertively and all of a sudden it was just gliding. Confidence increased and it quickly became the speediest and most enjoyable shave of my entire life. I looked in the mirror and there was no sign of razor burn, no nicks, no cuts…. just smoothness. I then followed it up with a quick rub of the moistened Alum bar - which did cause me to wince - and all done.

I'm sure there is plenty of tinkering to be done with my set up, such as trying other blades, creams, brushes etc, but as a first DE shave goes…. this was just incredible. Best shave ever.

;)

badvoc

Happy birthday and welcome - Proraso white was it?

Prepare to spend your birthday money (and much more) on shaving paraphernalia - you already need a new brush from your own account ;)

Welcome.

I made the switch around a year ago now and despite my whole drawer full of different products, it's a switch I'm glad I made. Certainly made shaving a more fun and worthwhile pastime rather than a chore.

You do not HAVE to spend every spare penny you ever heard of on this hobby.

However, it does seem to do that to some people :(

The Wilkinsons Sword best bristle brush from the likes of Asda is around £3.50 for example and will develop a good lather with the proraso soap you've got :)

When you say the razor 'jagged', do you mean it failed to cut with some pressure? If so, what blades are you using? Some are sharper than others and for some people the sharper blades are a smoother shave, as in require less pressure on the razor.

Back
Top Bottom