First DE - Muhle?

I'm new to all this DE shaving malarkey hence me signing up on here for advice.

Having read quite a bit of this DE razor section, and had a mooch around Executive Shaving, I noticed there is not a lot of stuff on here about the Muhle razors. I've seen a couple of Muhle's on ES but when I look through this forum there is lots of talk about Jaggers and Merkurs.

Is there any view on suitability of Muhle for a beginner?
Thanks

Hi & very welcome indeedly Dr. A. First off I should warn you that when 3 different shavers start to recommend razors you'll likely get 4 different pieces of advice !
My own entirely personal choice would be a Muhle R89 with a blade starter pack from Connaughts (or anywhere else you find which offers assorted makes of blades). I had and liked the Muhle not only as a reasonably priced starter razor, but as one which will be very suitable as time goes by & your own experience and confidence grow. In relation to other makers being mentioned, if the ref of their razor is 89 then it's the same shaving head as the Muhle, they have just chosen to fit a handle of their own.
If you get a Muhle I believe you'll like it, if not then you should be able to sell it on this Forum easily enough.
When you've got a few hours to spare feel free to raise the questions of soap or cream, face or bowl lathering, make of brush etc ! On second thoughts ........ just enjoy the fun of discovering for yourself what suits you best.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

I started with a merkur 38c and eventually sold that to get the Muhle R89. Oh how I wished I started with the muhle, fit and finish is excellent and is a great shaver. Perfect for learning and when you have your technique down.

I prefer the look of it compared with the EJ89. And as was said before you would have no problems selling it. Welcome btw!!

The EJ89 was the first DE razor I bought which is basically the same razor as the Muhle R89. 17 months later and I now have 8 razors, some will be sold on but the EJ is definitely a keeper, having 8 razors has made me realise just how good the EJ/Muhle head is. I would describe it as forgiving, easy to use whilst still providing a close comfortable shave and on those notes I can highly recommend it.

i started out with a merkur 1904, and although good it was a little rough at times.

I now use an Edwin Jagger with a Muhle head on it, and its my keeper. I get superb close shaves from it.

My gillette tech is smoother and causes a little less irritation, but its also much much harder to get a close shave with it.

Muhle head plus a personna blade is my winning combination for smoothness and closeness

EJ89L with Astra SP gives me a very enjoyable, smooth and acceptably close 2 pass shave (with the odd touch-up). Probably quite a forgiving combo - but I'm a newbie, too, so that's no bad thing. Build quality and finish of the EJ are exceptional for the price IMHO. From what I could see, the Muhle and EJ heads are the same.

Enjoy! Took me a couple of weeks to fine-tune technique - would never, ever go back to cartridges now!

Back
Top Bottom