Fan or Bulb

I've fitted a few fan knots for clients but very few in the UK,,dont know why.
Anyhow, I thought you'd like to see what you're missing:icon_razz:

The pics show the same knot, 22mm Super, one bulb and the other, a fan.
Both are shown post shave and the brushes have been flick dried.
[attachment=4236]

Lofts are:
Fan 47.5mm, Bulb 50mm.
As you can see there's a marked difference between the two!
[attachment=4237]

The fan whips up a super lather in no time at all and feels very nice on the face even when swirling the lather on.
Is it better than the bulb?,,, I'd say it feels softer, generates and applies more lather to the face, and certainly gets itself noticed on the bathroom shelf:icon_smile:

regards, beejay

Attachments

• Copy of P1030601.JPG
    Copy of P1030601.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Copy of P1030603.JPG
    Copy of P1030603.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 46
You know my thoughts on this Bill. I just prefer the look of a bulb.

The fan itch needs to be scratched though of which you'll be sorting out quite soon :) :) :)

I've got to few fan shaped knots, I love my Chubby 2 in super and would like to have more of them ... Even though I don't like the ones with distinct cut off heads (like Shavemacs extreme fan types).

chrisbell said:
Wouldn't the fan type be floppier for the same density of hair at the base?

Setting the fan lower helps contain the spread and also firms it up a little. There's also more hair in contact with the face with a fan so it doesnt feel floppy if the loft is set correctly.
regards, beejay

I like both Bill but I do think a bulb shape looks nicer, but both my Le Tuft and Simpson brushes perform equally as well, can't say i notice much difference in the way they perform.

Regards Jamie.

Both shapes work well depending on the density and the dimensions of the knot. I don't like overly large fan shape knots - too much effort to control lathering - but some people love them. The extra firmness of two band knots make them more suitable for fan shapes but they can work well with other hair as long as the loft is short enough as Bill says.

Everyone should try both shapes!

It's possible the move to bulb by most manufacturers isn't a coincidence, it's a more robust knot and keeps better shape more suited to the stresses of face lathering without having to be excessively dense to create a desirable face feel.

I have never tried a Fan, but on looks alone, I prefer the Bulb shape.

The Fan seems " untidy" when alongside a nice Bulb.

Maybe I should try one before condemning them :icon_rolleyes:

Edited to say, two very nice looking brushes Bill !

Steve

Like many others here, I also prefer bulb for aesthetic reasons.

I do however have a fan-shaped brush in my collection, and I'm really glad as it's one of my favourite brushes. It has the softest tips of any 2 band I've tried, with great backbone, and is a superb face latherer.

custom2band.jpg

I would take my Semogue 830 (fan-shape) over my expensive Simpson Tulip two-band (bulb-shape) in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom