f1 after race fire

extract from bbc website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18051779

Williams's celebrations of first Grand Prix victory in eight years have been marred by injuries to four team members in a fire in the team's garage.

One of the Williams team has been taken to hospital, while four Caterham mechanics are being treated at the track's medical unit.

A Force India team member is also being treated on the site after suffering smoke inhalation.

The incident is believed to involve a Kers unit, which sparked a fuel fire.

Caterham, who occupied the garage next to Williams in the Circuit de Catalunya pit lane, have accounted for all their staff and explained that one of those injured had a minor hand injury, with three others suffering respiratory issues.
Fire breaks out in the Williams garage

The fire began at the back of the Williams garage

"Thanks for your best wishes to the team member who bravely went to fight the flames. He is being checked out in the circuit medical centre," read a Force India tweet.

The fire occurred after Williams's group photo commemorating Pastor Maldonado's victory , the Grove-based team's first since Juan Pablo Montoya's win in the 2004 Brazil Grand Prix.

Founder Frank Williams, whose family attended the race in celebration of his recent 70th birthday, was led to safety.

"I was there when [founder] Frank Williams was giving his speech to everyone," said Williams reserve driver Valtteri Bottas.

"I felt an explosion from behind, somewhere from the fuel area, and everyone ran out quickly."

Mechanics from several teams joined Williams's pit crew in attempting to extinguish the flames which sent smoke billowing across the paddock.

Maldonado's car was parked elsewhere awaiting post-race checks during the blaze, but the FW34 of team-mate Bruno Senna, who crashed out after 12 laps, was in the garage at the time.

Unfortunately, as is so often the case after these sort of events, reports were pretty contradictory and confused. If, and it's a big if, the KERS unit from Brunos car was the source of the spark or detonation, it must raise questions as to the wisdom of allowing F1 cars to store such massive amounts of electrical energy in a half-hearted attempt to demonstrate green credentials.

chrisbell said:
Unfortunately, as is so often the case after these sort of events, reports were pretty contradictory and confused. If, and it's a big if, the KERS unit from Brunos car was the source of the spark or detonation, it must raise questions as to the wisdom of allowing F1 cars to store such massive amounts of electrical energy in a half-hearted attempt to demonstrate green credentials.

what surprised me was the placement of the kers unit when they said it was directly below the fuel tank.

must have been a friday job

shanky887614 said:
chrisbell said:

what surprised me was the placement of the kers unit when they said it was directly below the fuel tank.

must have been a friday job

That's pretty standard - any higher and the Centre of Gravity is affected; likewise many teams prefer not to put it in one of the sidepods as it affects the balance of the car. F1 teams (well, except HRT:icon_razz:) don't do "Friday Jobs" in that sense.

We just happened to have a look on red button trying to see if forum was still up to watch it.the BBC team were right behind the garage when it started and we just caught it.smoke seemed very bad indeed.the pics of the car just look horrific.feel so sorry for Williams.

I seriously doubt this fire has anything to do with the KERS unit only because I don't think there'd be that much fuel left in the car to cause such a blaze.
Nonetheless I'd be even more surprised if the tank itself was capable of being breached as they are literally bomb proof, the KERS was probably discharged either on the warm down lap or as part of the engines shut down procedure.

From the pics the car looks relatively untouched which would dispel any on board KERS malfunction, the fire seems to have occurred behind the car in the central part of the garage probably where the fuel is stored.

Back
Top Bottom