External Hard Drive help

funny this

i started this morning with a dead lappy...windows would not see it...booted into ubuntu and everything there to save

but yea...just delete partition...make a new partition...format and away ya go

this bit..

but yea...just delete partition...make a new partition...format and away ya go

or goto admin tools in control panel...disk management and do it that way

When I click on the drive it says 'You need to format the disk in drive J: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?' so I press Format Disk and a box comes up headed Format Local Disk J: with the following boxes:

Capacity 931GB
File System NTFS (default)
Allocation Unit Size (default)

and an option to do a Quick Format.

I click on Start (for both quick and normal formats) and I get a warning about erasing the disk. I OK this and I just get a box saying Windows was unable to complete the format.

There. What's going on?! :evil:

Pig Cat said:
When I click on the drive it says 'You need to format the disk in drive J: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?' so I press Format Disk and a box comes up headed Format Local Disk J: with the following boxes:

Capacity 931GB
File System NTFS (default)
Allocation Unit Size (default)

and an option to do a Quick Format.

I click on Start (for both quick and normal formats) and I get a warning about erasing the disk. I OK this and I just get a box saying Windows was unable to complete the format.

There. What's going on?! :evil:

Thanks chaps, I have managed to get to a point where Windows is doing a back up to it. Not sure how it knows what to back up but I assume it will include all my pictures and vids. Just need to find a place to hide it before the cops get here. :eek:

probably a bit late now, but for future reference.

If the hard drive... is off to heaven and just wont play ball and you cant get stuff off... put it in a waterproof bag, and put it in the freezer... it really does work, and after a small time plug it in and get the data off asap before breaks again, have seen a few people save important data like this.

Worst thing you can do is lose data from a format... i have lost far to much data then i would like to admit from this.

cozzyb said:

If the hard drive... is off to heaven and just wont play ball and you cant get stuff off... put it in a waterproof bag, and put it in the freezer... it really does work, and after a small time plug it in and get the data off asap before breaks again, have seen a few people save important data like this.

Worst thing you can do is lose data from a format... i have lost far to much data then i would like to admit from this.

Thanks mate, all is well now but I'll bear that in mind!

cozzyb said:

+1 on that, got a lot of data of a few drives that way, also sandwich it between ice packs while doing the transfer, keeps them running a bit longer :D
Be selective on what you transfer, most important stuff first, you never know how long it's going to last.

Max

Back
Top Bottom