England v Aussie

Brad Barritt did everything that was needed today. Sometimes you look at a player and think he's maybe not up to the mark, but he proved his worth today. If I was selecting the starting side - he would be in it.

Any win against the southern Hemisphere big three is a good win, can't wait for Englands next game Wales at the Millennium stadium in the Six nations should be a massive atmosphere and a real buzz for that game I know Gatland said he's really looking forward to that game. PS nice to Ben Morgans score two tries I remember him when he arrived in my home town when he started off playing for Merthyr RFC he was so unfit back then and wet behind the ears, then the Scarlets spotted him took them a full year to get him conditioned and fit enough to play Pro rugby.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Any win against the southern Hemisphere big three is a good win, can't wait for Englands next game Wales at the Millennium stadium in the Six nations should be a massive atmosphere and a real buzz for that game I know Gatland said he's really looking forward to that game. PS nice to Ben Morgans score two tries I remember him when he arrived in my home town when he started off playing for Merthyr RFC he was so unfit back then and wet behind the ears, then the Scarlets spotted him took them a full year to get him conditioned and fit enough to play Pro rugby.

Congratulations to Wales as well - a few examples of bad decision-making when tired in the last 10 minutes, but a dogged performance, especially in defence (I think England could do with a defensive training session or two with Wales in order to learn how to hit hard and prevent ball carriers getting over the gain line.

That's the first time in an age I enjoyed watching England play rugby! Seemed to me they showed signs of being able to get out of the pool stages of the World Cup.

Well done, the lads! and a good win against the Aussies.

UKRob said:
Brad Barritt did everything that was needed today. Sometimes you look at a player and think he's maybe not up to the mark, but he proved his worth today. If I was selecting the starting side - he would be in it.

BB is a players' player. Does all the unseen grunt and hard work that mostly goes unseen. Whilst he will not tear anyone up he will do the basics right time after time. That's a real skill. We should remember that he was playing when we overwhelmed the AB's a couple of years ago.

I was lucky enough to be there yesterday and had a great time. I was sat next to a Kiwi chap and he said that he almost joined in God Save The Queen, it was so stirring. Sadly the rest of the atmosphere was a bit muted and slightly lacking.

For me, if you take Ben Morgan out of the equation (who was immense) then it had to be Courtney Lawes - I'll swear that you could feel some of the tackles he put in in the stands!

Overall, I think it was a result that we really needed and hopefully sets us up for the 6 nations.

ChopperHarris said:
I was lucky enough to be there yesterday and had a great time. I was sat next to a Kiwi chap and he said that he almost joined in God Save The Queen, it was so stirring. Sadly the rest of the atmosphere was a bit muted and slightly lacking.

For me, if you take Ben Morgan out of the equation (who was immense) then it had to be Courtney Lawes - I'll swear that you could feel some of the tackles he put in in the stands!

Overall, I think it was a result that we really needed and hopefully sets us up for the 6 nations.

I think it will be a pretty tough 6 Nations this year. Wales and Ireland looking good, Scotland & France improving. And Italy are always awkward and combative.

As far as England are concerned I think the best that can be said is that they have very significant strength in depth, if not the ultimate quality. Losing seven British Lions to injury and still being there or thereabouts is something that few, if any, countries could match. We still don't know our best back three, midfield or half back combination. I like George Ford and Ben Youngs together - they seem to have something and will know each other from young George's Leicester days. I think next year's RWC will come a year to early for England. I am, however, considering putting some early money on them for the 2019. I think they could have an awesome team then, truly awesome.

As always, time will tell.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom