Empire

[attachment=10390]
Two Empires from the 30s, including E21 - cleaned up by me today. Both with cases, blade holders and strops. Left hand almost certainly silver plated - complete with 3 hollow ground blades; 2 still wrapped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 60
pjgh said:
Nice catch and nice restoration.

Isn't the one on the left called a Wxx (xx is a number)? It looks later, perhaps '50s?

I think you may be right about it being later - it could be a W19. The box it came with says By Appointment to His Majesty King George VI.

As we know, George VI reigned until 1952 ... it's possibly that new, however ...

Looking again, the ribbed end with the knurled handle does put it earlier. The W19 was ribbed both tip and handle, I think, although I have found a George V 25th Anniversary Commemorative Set (so, 1935) that say both tip and handle ribbed. Nice case, too.

Given reference to George VI it'll be 1936-1952 ... or surplus stock, once Lizzie had taken up with reins.

Lovely razors. Do you have good working blades, or do you use the de-spined GEM hack?

On another forum, a fellow Wilko fan came up with these three options for blades:

20140503_145346.jpg

The 'Tom Beasley' hollow ground looks to be in superb condition with a keen edge; however, the arm test suggests that it would be hopeless for shaving without work - possibly re-honing, and it's a small blade. My other 2 hollow grounds remain wrapped. I have GEMs which I could de-spine but I was rather hoping the Feather FHS-5 would fit?
My next project is a Wilkinson 7 day set, complete - I think it would have to be for show - the razor, blades and holders are a world apart from this couple.

Mmm - the Feather doesn't work - b*gger to get in and out and it bends and bows. I might try cutting a few more fingers to de-spine a GEM but I might just have a go at re-honing a hollow ground.

Back
Top Bottom