Ecco "One Dollar Razor"

OK, so de-spined a Gem and too thin. The razor doesn't appear to have any mechanism for holding the blade securely apart from the narrowness of the top clip. Tried to force a Gem with a spine, but that was only going to result in a bad cut so closed down that route. I could use a scredriver or something to slightly lift the retaining clip perhaps.....

Now, what is a shim, if I could ask?

I think I would be inclined to either (a) try to push the top closed a little more, if possible, to hold a de-spined GEM or (b) shim a de-spined GEM. I would not try to force the back of the razor to take a spined blade - this was not the original intention and I think going down that line would ruin the razor.

To shim, what you need to find is a piece of metal (or plastic) thin enough to slip over the blade so that the top clip holds the blade more securely.

Perhaps a piece of plastic from a pop bottle would do it? Install the blade into the razor and then push the little piece of plastic between the blade and the top cap to make it hold more better. If the principle works, neaten up the solution. Plastic would be a good start, since it's unlikely to cut you - thin metal can be had from drink cans, feeler blades, DE blades ... but care should be taken to minimise sharp edges.

My explanation wasn't clear enough - it was (a) I was considering.

Actually, though , it is only the aperture that looks as if it is too narrow to accept the Gem, if I could get the spine under I think it would be OK.. but lots of very sharp edges that I am wary of!

pjgh said:
I think I would be inclined to either (a) try to push the top closed a little more, if possible, to hold a de-spined GEM or (b) shim a de-spined GEM. I would not try to force the back of the razor to take a spined blade - this was not the original intention and I think going down that line would ruin the razor.

To shim, what you need to find is a piece of metal (or plastic) thin enough to slip over the blade so that the top clip holds the blade more securely.

Perhaps a piece of plastic from a pop bottle would do it? Install the blade into the razor and then push the little piece of plastic between the blade and the top cap to make it hold more better. If the principle works, neaten up the solution. Plastic would be a good start, since it's unlikely to cut you - thin metal can be had from drink cans, feeler blades, DE blades ... but care should be taken to minimise sharp edges.

Gently does it, then ...

Slip a spine off a GEM and just check that the spine will fit happily at the back. I'm going to assume the metal is folded at the back - that's an area of weakness when bending and re-bending. Go careful. Great, if it works.

Back
Top Bottom