Ebay links & such

As a matter of forum etiquette should Ebay Links

• Be banned / filtered

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Be in there own forum/section

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Allowed in all parts of the forum (unlimted)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Allowed but a limited number of links per member

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Paul

Vendor Sponsor
I would like to see a separate forum or sub-section for these as they seem to rub some people up the wrong way, if used too much what ever that level maybe. I think everyone would be happier this way.

I really don't see how posting Ebay links could upset members enough to PM a mod, I would be interested in the the arguments for not posting links (really I would like to know)

I could take the replies to my posts here <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3346&start=240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3346&start=240</a><!-- l --> by Boab or HM as rude, I don't as I'm sure they did not mean to be.

It's very hard to determine the tone of posts sometimes & I think allot animosity on any forum is down to misunderstandings & members just having a laugh. It would be a great shame if any member was made uncomfortable or unwelcome because of a clash of opinions.

Of course this maybe a non issue for most members; perhaps a separate forum is unneeded or unwanted but if Ebay items & links are seen to be cluttering up the other forums maybe there own place in the forum is a good idea?

Up until recently SMF used to have an automatically generated listing of razors on ebay at the front of their site. It didn't seem to bother anyone, well I never read any complaints from anyone. It seems to have gone now but had been there for the last couple of years at least.

I can't submit a vote.

We have a Shopping Links and Feedback section in the forum already. Start an E-Bay thread in there.
If it's a link to a product that you are selling, then put it in the Vendors section.

Simples.

Where's the option for - I don't give a ......?

Also what's the official line on link dumping? For those that don't know link dumping on forums is repeatedly link to another site (in posts and signatures) to raise ones ranking in search engines, its used by people to raise their own profile and on most forums I've used its seen as taking the piss. :mrgreen:

Can’t submit a vote,

It wouldn’t bother me if a separate EBay thread was started, although I can see how it can wrangle some by instantly bringing something you may be bidding on into the view of a vast number of like minded (interested) people.

I see no problem with EBay listings on blades, soaps etc that are “buy now” and as such are not biddable listings.

Ether way it doesn't really affect me, but i can take a subtle hint when given.

The occasional link to a daft item as a conservation piece I don't have a problem with.
Yet another over priced razor I'm rather bored with.
A link to a shaving item that a member might have an interest in bidding on? No.
If a member wants a quick razor ID from an auction. Dunno. See above.
If a member wants to draw attention to his own auction. Stick it in the Shopping Links.

Personally I think it's a waste of bandwidth but I don't run the forum and entirely up to Boab. It should be segregated and that's what shopping links and vendor section are for.

If it's an auction that ended or non-shave related item perhaps but for sole purpose of whoring out your own ad or a friend's is sheisty. Thanks to Egay's anonymous display of user handles we can no longer tell who our friends are lest they tell us they were bidding on an item.

Although there are n00bs who have questions about an item and sometimes post it up ( seen it done on another forum ). This is precarious because I could be interested in said item and he just invited bunch of mongrels to compete with me. Then again even if such a link was not posted, odds are there's still competition whether we like it or not. Being there for horrendous 10 years or so I've never won an auction that was a steal. All in all this is subjective.

We should leave the forum as is my friend.

BTW I didn't vote Paul.

No matter how many people are aware of any listing you will only win if you have the highest bid, yes; so if these mongrels as you put it are prepared to pay more than yourself, then they deserve to win.

Allot of members here could be sellers, they deserve to get the best prices they can & you can only get a good price if someone is willing to pay that price. The only negative thing is if people constantly pushed there own items the forum would be cluttered & not very interesting.

I don't think it's a problem now but Ebay gets bigger everyday & if there was an Ebay items forum, in the shopping section everyone would know where to post them & any Ebay posts could be moved to this section if required.

I now understand the need for the foe button.

Back
Top Bottom