Dry skin

I have extremely sensitive skin and have tried the soaps posted by Nishy, and Cella does not leave my skin tingling after a shave.

That said, I have recently discovered that if I use a pre-shave oil before the shave, then I am able to use soaps that in the past would have left my skin itchy and tingling like crazy. I think the oil acts as a barrier not only against the cream but also the razor blade. I also use the oil after the shave just to condition my skin.

If you have not tried a pre-shave oil. I would highly recommend Truefitt & Hill's, a little pricey but lasts a very long time and is very light and fresh smelling.

Good luck!

Fox said:
I have extremely sensitive skin and have tried the soaps posted by Nishy, and Cella does not leave my skin tingling after a shave.

That said, I have recently discovered that if I use a pre-shave oil before the shave, then I am able to use soaps that in the past would have left my skin itchy and tingling like crazy. I think the oil acts as a barrier not only against the cream but also the razor blade. I also use the oil after the shave just to condition my skin.

If you have not tried a pre-shave oil. I would highly recommend Truefitt & Hill's, a little pricey but lasts a very long time and is very light and fresh smelling.

Good luck!

Thanks

I use Prosaro pre-post shave cream to which I get a great hit!!! Would this do?
I think it's the Alum block that is drying my skin out totaly

Demetrios72 said:
Thanks

I use Prosaro pre-post shave cream to which I get a great hit!!! Would this do?
I think it's the Alum block that is drying my skin out totaly

Hi I have never personally used the Prosaro pre-post shave cream. But if something is irritating your skin, then remove one thing at a time from your daily routine, it makes finding the culprit easer. Again I have never used an Alum Block, but I am sure other forum members can comment on this as a possible cause.

Do try an oil, some people give a light Olive Oil found in most kitchens a try first, this will give you an idea of what is achieved with a pre-shave oil.

Alum can definitely cause dryness, especially if you don't wash it off a couple of minutes after applying same.

If I could pick 2 soaps with great moisturising properties they would be Stirling Anise and Le Pere Lucien.

I think this maybe where i'm going wrong. I rub the alum block over my face and let it air dry . Then when I rince it off I can feel the dryness as my fingers literally sticking to my skin.

I may invest in a pre shave oil too

Def the alum take it out and see the difference, forget the balm use proraso pre shave and it will be much better it's the best item in my arsenal for value, performance and quality

Sorry meant pre shave oil, not balm

Martin de Candre has worked superbly for me both in the original and fougere scents. My skin is too dry to even tolerate water - if I don't apply a cream or thick moisturiser after even a shower, I get redness and quite often flaky skin.

If you have sensitive skin, probably your first port of call should be something unscented. Scents are probably the most likely ingredient in a soap or cream to cause you irritation.

Ian

Any shaving soap or cream will tend to dry the skin out - that's why a moisturiser is necessary for many people. You can try doing without alum or wiping it off with damp hands but then apply a nourishing balm or just moisturiser. Personally, I like a splash of witch hazel after alum but before the balm/moisturiser.

Back
Top Bottom