Dovo 'Shavette'. Just had 1st shave with.....

Ive been DE shaving for 9 months now, pretty happy with my technique and set up, my selection of soaps/creams and pre/post shave creams.
My shaves are usually very good with no nicks (very rarely) standard 2 passes with touch ups ;)
I thought it was time for a bit of a challenge, I thought it was time to perhaps try a straight/cut throat razor!
I dont want the hassle of the maintenance of a 'real' one so bought the Dovo Shavette which takes half a DE blade, I am happy to try this as its inexpensive and well worth a try.
Well, I surprisingly picked it up very easily :p Im right handed and the right side of my face and neck went very well, the chin was so very hard as I just couldnt get the angle right, I had 2 days growth which was pretty thick so I decided to give the chin area a miss.
Now, the problems started when I tried to use my left hand to do the left side of my face :x My cheek was fine but the neck, chin and upper lip is impossible.
I quickly got my DE razor and finished off.
I didnt have any nicks though from the 'Shavette', also when I put the aftershave on there was no stinging at all :cool: .
Do any of you have any tips for me?
I know the best thing to do is probably spend 80 odd quid and get a real cut throat razor from Neil, ready to go and just send it back every so often for re-honing :?:
Any advise is much appeciated.

I too have a dovo shavette, and to be honest I like it. I am right handed and only seem to cut the right side of my face - strange.

Anyway just keep playing with it you will get the hang, my chin and upper lip are never as smooth with it but thats down to practice I would say, I seem to have to grab a DE just to tidy it up, but as they all say practice makes perfect.

I had read somewhere that you should try and shave the right of your face with the right hand, and the left with the left, I tried this, didnt go to well. Keep going, you should improve BUT go easy the cuts can be nasty, think I have a couple of lifers on my cheeks now

I'm not going to get into the Shavette thing again, but if you have the cojones to use one, bravo!

£80 is indeed a sensible budget to start off with, but that includes a strop, and you may well get a bit of change. Add a finishing hone at a later date and in theory that's all you'll need to shell out for hardware, ever.

Arrowhead said:
I'm not going to get into the Shavette thing again, but if you have the cojones to use one, bravo!

£80 is indeed a sensible budget to start off with, but that includes a strop, and you may well get a bit of change. Add a finishing hone at a later date and in theory that's all you'll need to shell out for hardware, ever.

It never seems to work out like that though sadly :(

ooooooh what a lovely razor.....ker-ching :lol:

Ive just been browsing Neils site, It going to be £80 minimum for the straight plus the extra's.
Im not 100% sure, I dont want to spend all the cash and then end up deciding straight razor shaving isnt for me.
I could easily buy a straight from somewhere else, but if I get it from Neil I know it will be ready to use.

RedNeckRash said:
Ive just been browsing Neils site, It going to be £80 minimum for the straight plus the extra's.
Im not 100% sure, I dont want to spend all the cash and then end up deciding straight razor shaving isnt for me.
I could easily buy a straight from somewhere else, but if I get it from Neil I know it will be ready to use.
Neil has a bargain basement, and of course sometimes straights come up on BST.
I've never spend 80 quid on a razor, and I've got a few very nice ones... :roll: :roll:

Max

FrenchBlade said:
RedNeckRash said:
Neil has a bargain basement, and of course sometimes straights come up on BST.
I've never spend 80 quid on a razor, and I've got a few very nice ones... :roll: :roll:

Max

+1.

Mine cost £20 from Neils Bargin Basement.

Just had my second try with the Dovo 'shavette'
This time I put a Feather blade in, really impressed!
Picking it up quite well, managed to use my left hand a bit more and complete my whole face and neck this time :)
Such a close shave, better in comparison against a DE razor with just one WTG pass.
I didnt want to tempt fate, so just one pass WTG and then a tidy up with the DE.
Only manged one little nick, also when I put the A/S on, no burn so cant be bad!
Watched a vid on youtube, Geofatboy using a Parker 'shavette'. He was pretty impressed and it seems a bit more substantial as its all s.steel, I have ordered one from the shaving shack, hopefully be here next week after all the bank holidays!
Geo has loads of great vids on youtube, well worth a look if you havnt already.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IGMcZjTWOw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IGMcZjTWOw</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom