Dirty Bird scuttle

I purchased the 1.5 scuttle and it will arrive tomorrow. I am ramped up for that.
[attachment=0]

The one I purchased was the blue without the inside lines that go from top to bottom. I just wanted horizontal line in the bowl. Tomorrow is the big day.

I also found Clubman Bay Rum this week. Smells great and lasts longer but I don't like it better than the old spice, guess I will have to rotate them.
Bob

Attachments

• 480_Berry_rim_on_blue_Scuttle_w_web_resized.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 201
I have a 1.5 DB scuttle in blue, it is fantastic piece of pottery that allows any brush plenty of room for lathering. It is a big scuttle but all the better for it. How are you so sure it will be tomorrow? redilvery?

I wish I hadn't checked out this topic, very nice :mrgreen:

I've got blades galore, 3 DE razors, a handfull of brushes, a growing assortment of soaps/creams and splashes :!:

... but no scuttle, currently use an old dish we bought in small pottery in Tunisia years ago :cool: is this the next thing on my list :oops:

Dirty Bird sent me the tracking info and its expected delivery is Monday. Will take a pic and post it when it arrives. I would imaginge they are all different as she makes them by hand.

Well, it has arrived and it really does keep the lather warm. Quality is excellent, very beautiful piece and I am very satisified. Just wanted to post a few pics. I put the one with me holding it for perspective.[attachment=0][attachment=1]

Attachments

• 2011-03-14_17-17-23_619.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 105
  • 2011-03-14_17-18-23_854 (2).jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 100
Just as a followup... the grooves in the scuttle are quite deep, perhaps 1/8" deep. Makes a great lather. :D

Wow!
I've been hearing about these Dirty Bird Scuttles, but was a little reluctant to get one from the USA and deal with tax, import and Royal Mail's charge, etc.
How much did the charges set you back turk? (being broke sucks :( :oops: - especially when you have a new habit to feed!)
However, now after seeing your photos they look even better and I want one :roll: :lol:

I did find a UK pottery place doing scuttles on ebay: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shaving-Mug-Bowl-Scuttle-Mega-3B-Woodhead-Pottery-/270712810460?pt=UK_Health_HairRemoval_RL&hash=item3f07bdabdc">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shaving-Mug-Bowl- ... 3f07bdabdc</a><!-- m -->
Which probably turn out similar on price anyway... They look good, but I have no idea what they are like, anyone else have any experience? Any one have a picture of these in the hand, so i can get an idea of size and shape?

Edit: just found <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2993">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2993</a><!-- l --> - thread on this Steve Woodhead Pottery. Still, chime in though ;) :)

I'm a DB 1.5 fan. Silly price really, bearing in mind importing into UK. But it get's an occasional run out. Mostly, it's a pleasant ornament. And it's staying put!

DB-1.jpg

Nice scuttle Fido. My scuttle cost $54 US plus around $15 for shipping from Virginia to Arizona which is quite a ways. I struggled with the purchase but am truly glad that I finally decided to move forward and get it. Keeps the lather nice and warm. I don't have other vices so I can justify spending money on this hobby, you only live once. :D

Gruff, the scuttle in your link looks great. I found that scuttles are not as readily available in the US as they are in the UK. I could be wrong but it seems that there are quite a few more wet shavers in the UK. I don't have the data to substantiate that claim but its a gut feel. Anyone want to chime in on this? I've been wondering about that exact thing... are the folks in the US too stressed out and in a hurry that they can't spend time wet shaving? I find the biggest benefit for me is that its so relaxing. When I get too stressed out you can find me in the bathroom whipping up some lather! :p

Back
Top Bottom