Dijon mustard

If you have no luck finding Taylors, I've tried and disliked quite a few and can recommend the Sainsburys own label English mustard, unlike Colemans which is all heat and no light it's fairly flavourful and a decent compliment. You might while you're over here consider getting some mustard powder and just knocking up your own recipe to your preferred strength, a little goes a long way.

Edit: or as above make some from absolute scratch.

Sainsbury's own, eh? Will get wee wifey to pick up a jar next time she's in. Thanks, Tony. :D

They changed the formula a while back (looser and more filler) which p***ed me off but it's still okay, sinus cleaner it isn't though.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Dijon in the right place. I would always prefer English with roast beef or on a ham sandwich, but Dijon is a great cooking ingredient and I think it goes better with a steak.

I'm generally not a fan of the quirky mustards that include all sorts of odd ingredients, but I do like Tewkesbury mustard (that has horseradish in it). It goes well with lamb.

Tall_Paul said:
dodgy said:
I used it sparingly to help add a certain piquant flavour to the choice morsels he served, Scotch Eggs and sausage rolls.

Fixed that for you Mart. Now, the funny thing is I don't like 'bits' in my mustard, ketchup or mayo. Just a smooth texture.

When it comes to mustard I think of it as the oral equivalent of snuff (not that I've had snuff but bear with me). Hot enough to give a good kick including a pinch of the sinuses (which is why I like wasabi) and with a flavour that compliments whatever meat I'm having it with.

First, thank you for the editing job in getting to the essence of my previous post. I couldn't have said it better myself! Oh wait, it looks like i did say it. Excellent!

I get the heat part, but that's not the main thing for mustard. It's the flavor rather than the burn for me. I like both smooth and rough textures........all are fine with me.

If i was a Limey (or other foreigner), I might be tempted to look for the mustard Big G suggested.

Piddle Posh for now, my good bungbean,

Mart

dodgy said:
If i was a Limey (or other foreigner), I might be tempted to look for the mustard Big G suggested.

Mart, you'll be relieved to know I will be seeking it out too. Anything 'Dr Braw' recommends is definitely good (he's already expensively enabled me on footwear).

Pip pip and toodle ooh me old stringbean.

Tall_Paul said:
Mart, you'll be relieved to know I will be seeking it out too. Anything 'Dr Braw' recommends is definitely good (he's already expensively enabled me on footwear).
Pip pip and toodle ooh me old stringbean.

Haha, Paul! I just hope you're not disappointed. As far as Taylor's goes, it's not quite as hot as Colman's but there's still plenty of 'nasal pinch' to be enjoyed although, for me at least, there is more all-round flavour and a more pleasant texture. There's not an artificial ingredient in it and I attribute its greater flavour and more balanced heat to the addition of a modicum of wheat flour which also improves the texture, I feel. A better accompaniment to meat, so it is.

Although Colman's Mustard significantly pre-dates Taylor's, the latter was the first fully prepared mustard. Straight out o' t'jar ont' tha plate, Paul me owd lad! I know some prefer the flavour, heat, ritual and English purity of making up Colman's from the powder but the faff is not for me. The English purity I refer to harks back to a thread of Fido's if I remember rightly, where it was established that Colman's is the only mustard made entirely from English-grown mustard seed. That does appeal to me greatly but the proof of the pudding is in the eating so it's Taylor's for me.

As an aside, I do like a nice Tewkesbury Mustard with it's addition of horseradish. I have ASDA's own, English-made, 'Who's-the-daddy?' version. I never could remember all the different names each supermarket has for it's allegedly better produce. 'Extra Special' I think it may be in ASDA's case which translates into 'pretty good' in my oft half-witted opinion.

So there you have it: thoughts on that mightiest of Mustards, good old English, belonging to a fella with 3/4 Scots and 1/4 English blood. MacDonald, Campbell, and Fraser all mixed in with London Pride - what price sanity? :icon_rolleyes:

Tall_Paul said:
Tewkesbury mustard sounds like the dog's danglies! I shall seek some out at my local Asda.

(Dammit, enabled by the Brawmeister again!)

Och man but be fair, at least mustard's cheap.....:D

This thread and the visit of my mate Andy sort of knocked me sideways off the diet today. Three Scottish morning rolls with Forsyth's of Peebles beef link sausages (a household staple as the good lady won't eat any other sausages - more's the pity :angel:) and ASDA's Extra Special smoked back bacon with a good doad of Taylor's mustard was fair braw especially when washed down with a pot or two of Ringtons Extra Fresh loose leaf tea. Aye, yon hit the spot a'richt!

Gairdner said:
Tall_Paul said:
Tewkesbury mustard sounds like the dog's danglies! I shall seek some out at my local Asda.

(Dammit, enabled by the Brawmeister again!)

Och man but be fair, at least mustard's cheap.....:D

This thread and the visit of my mate Andy sort of knocked me sideways off the diet today. Three Scottish morning rolls with Forsyth's of Peebles beef link sausages (a household staple as the good lady won't eat any other sausages - more's the pity :angel:) and ASDA's Extra Special smoked back bacon with a good doad of Taylor's mustard was fair braw especially when washed down with a pot or two of Ringtons Extra Fresh loose leaf tea. Aye, yon hit the spot a'richt!

Graeme that sounds like a breakfast and a half. The sort you'd nosh, then go and destroy something wooden with an axe!

I've searched high and low for Taylor's English mustard: M&S, Waitrose, Asda, Tescos and Sainsburys, but to no avail. I'll check with the local butcher, but I'm not confident. I'm in Southampton, any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom