Day 2 (ever)

Second ever DE shave today. Decided to try a couple of new things. Firstly, soaked my silver tip badger brush in a warm cup of water while I took a shower. Secondly, instead of building a lather straight on my face (like I did in my 1st ever DE shave yesterday), I decided to try & build one inside the rinsed out mug i'd just been soaking my brush in. Very unhappy with the lather. (using Truefitt & Hill sandalwood cream from a pot) really watery. Plenty of soap-like bubbling going on, but I just couldn't get any thickness to it no matter how much I kept trying.

Oh well, had to soldier on. Bought a sample pack of blades with my "starter" kit. Decided to try the Astra Platinum 1st (used the Merkur blade sent with the razor yesterday. Told it might be a good idea to throw it after 1 use. Was a good shave though).

Minor irritation on the neck, but cut close it sure did. Everything done in two passes & a quick touch up go around after (same as yesterday). Fine. Particularly given the poor lather i'd created. Then went over my head using the same cream, and a 1 bladed Bic throw away razor (not quite confident enough to do my head with the DE just yet). Did its usual pretty decent job, but then I decided to go over areas on my head that could have been better again. This time with the DE. Unimpressed here. It couldn't deal with a couple of tough areas that the Bic hadn't handled. It was at a point where my head LOOKED fine, but there were still one or two rough areas to the touch. And it just didn't deal with it. Almost seemed like the thing had blunted. It couldn't have so quickly... Could it? I threw it away in annoyance, only afterwards thinking "I wonder if it was just your rubbish lather"?...

Ah well, we'll find out tomorrow I guess. I've another Astra Platinum blade primed & ready to go for tomorrow morning. And this time, I'll be building a lather directly onto my face.

I don't think your blade is blunt, I think it's more difficult to get your blade angle right while shaving your head. I shave my head with a DE, and sometimes it feels like it slips without cutting around the back of my head where I can't see. It is because it's at the wrong angle. Take your time and enjoy it, it'll get better with practice. You shouldn't need a new blade with every shave, unless your hair is like wire.

Taypsie said:
I don't think your blade is blunt, I think it's more difficult to get your blade angle right while shaving your head. I shave my head with a DE, and sometimes it feels like it slips without cutting around the back of my head where I can't see. It is because it's at the wrong angle. Take your time and enjoy it, it'll get better with practice. You shouldn't need a new blade with every shave, unless your hair is like wire.

Thanks. Can I ask what blade you prefer for head shaving? I've a few to pick from from my sample pack. I'm using a Murker 34C HD btw. Any general tips on head shaving would be incredibly welcome! I feel like i'm quickly getting the hang of shaving my face with it. No cuts or nicks yet. I'm just a little nervous about having a full head shave with it. Especially since i'm still trying out blades. Don't really want to be in a position where I try a brand for the first time, decide i'm proficient with the razor, and turn my head claret! :icon_biggrin:

QWERTYOP said:
Second ever DE shave today. Very unhappy with the lather.

Oh well, had to soldier on.

Hi there,

This lather thing is pretty important to get right. Problem is, it's not an exact science or constant variable. Heh, when I have a less than perfect shave it's normally because the lather isn't quite right.

Next time maybe do a quick clean up and start the lather over again. It's what's needed for the blade to glide around (slip or slick), plus to give your face a buffer from that sharp blade (cushion). If the lather's bad there's no hope for the best shave you can do. Starting behind the 8 ball.

One test is to use your previous cartridge and see how that feels. If it ain't so good, you can bet it'll be even worse using a DE razor.

Maybe try some practicing. I know personally that it can take a while to figure things out. Also, did you mention any prep before shaving?

Martin

You could try giving the brush a really good shake before lathering because it sounds like it is too wet. Also, make sure the mug is completely empty of water. Also, if you are using shaving cream from a pot, try using a small spatula or spoon to put a small amount of cream onto the brush, then lather in the cup.

Certainly sounds as if there is too much water involved - add a little at a time rather than all up front. Here's a good tutorial from the Shaving Help section.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-8557.html

Thanks guys. I think I'll go back to lathering directly on the face & see how that does me. I've read in several places that it's much easier to start with too little water, and to add than it is to rescue a situation where you've added too much water. I guess I experienced that for myself yesterday!

I fully expected a lot of trial and error at this early point. There are just so many variables, and I just need to try a few different things to find what will be the perfect shave for me.

Shaved my head with the DE yesterday. Took a bloody long time, but I did it. Probably stick to DE on the face and Bic on the head for the time being. But at least I know I can do it.

I think I made a mistake in lathering up my face and head at the same time? Did two passes on my face, and by the time I got to my head, the lather was acting weird. Started getting bits of lather caught in the razor.

Face only? And THEN lather up the head? Essentially treat them as two different shaves?

Absolutely! Do whichever you want first but with proper prep for your face, head doesn't seem to care. Then do the next part with fresh lather. Well that's how I do it and it works fine for me.

Agree. Treat each part of your face separate. Right from left; up from down. Your hair grows differently on each part.
And use a new blade each time you shave.

Didn't say before... You don't have to use the same razor for the whole procedure. Does a doctor use the same instrument when he does a procedure?

(Ok, we can only hope he washes it off before the next person!)

Is that the general consensus, guys? Given then I do both my face and head every single day, new blade every time? I had been wondering. I'm still going through my blade sample pack, so I don't know which brand I'll be going for in the long run yet.

Back
Top Bottom