Dandy Gent lime soap

Firstly, many thanks to Rev-O for passing on a sample of this for me and a few others to try out.
Firstly the aroma. Very strong citrus smell, as you would expect. First thing in the morning the smell of the soap can be just as important as the feel of it. And this was very refreshing, couldn't wait to lather it up.
I prefer to face lather, first load up my badger (cheap sub £10 ebay generic brush, but works for me) in my palm. It instantly get up a good lather, brush appeared to be well loaded.
But as soon as I put it on my face to complete the lathering the foam went very thin and I struggled to get a good thick lather.
Pass one, and half way through the lather is disappearing. Quickly reapply more from the brush (not something I ever need to do).
Pass two, the same, the lather is virtually disappearing as I shave.
I quickly hunt round for my bowl and get a good lather build up in that, but still the lather goes from 'quite creamy' to gone in a couple of minutes. And there was nothing left in my brush to squeeze out for a final 'tidy up'.

So overall, nice smell, terrible lather.
But I will percevere and try it out a couple more times, but so far its not convinced me to buy any.

I would love to hear how others are finding it.

mine arrived today so will use tomorrow.
however i can only compare the smell to other lime soap ive used SFH and the dandy gent smell is that much stronger (in a nice way) on a par with the mint source range of toiletries. Anyone who has used an erasimic bowl will understand when i say the soap itself seems to be similiar in look, shape etc to this.

4bdad2bc57dfc835b43027b5fffb7925_zps18961417.jpg

Test bowl lathered with a badger and a boar brush and although it did lather well it is not a thick lather like an arko or an MWF. it wasn't watery though.

Had a go at face lathering and this was better giving a thicker lather and produced enough for 3 passes.

It isn't the best or worst lather you get but the lather it does produce works well and the razor glides through it no problem.

The lime scent is phenomal lasts a while and really freshens you up.

Would I buy it? Depends on price, bar tabac and MWF (for the bowls) I've never spent more than £6 for a soap. If this is more than that I honestly don't think I would bother as it is not a better soap than tabac or MWF.

As a lime soap I can only compare it to scent from heaven.

It has a better scent, similar lather but is four times the price.

Very grateful for the chance to use and I will finish it off

I LIVE IN A VERY HARD WATER AREA so better water would probably produce a better lather

First attempt with this soap for me tonight. It arrived yesterday and as soon as I opened the envelope I could smell Lime.

I would say this smells exactly like Castle Forbes Lime and about the same strength (very strong!)

As I had seen the Rev had issues loading I thought given it was a chunk I would just rub it over my damp face to load as much on my bristles as possible to give this soap a fair chance in my hard water.

Took a damp NF badger brush to it and got to work face lathering. I found that it lathered up quite well but did seem to want a fair bit of water.

Now heres where the problem started today. Was shaving the first pass with a Scottish Permasharp blade on its 4th shave. It was very draggy and I began to think perhaps the lather was a bit dry. I only had the goatee area to go so thought I would wash it off and lather again on a damp face, still draggy. Realised it was the blade so off to the bedroom I went to get a new blade. Came back lathered the goatee area again and all was good.

Went for the second lathering and the lather seemed to be breaking down a touch, but put that down to the time going to change the blade. Pushed on and finished that pass. Went for a third but the lather was very thin at that point so went pack the the puck with the brush, which did improve the lather.

Now here come another problem, my face had that tingling / burning sensation, which could have been the Lime EO possibly irritating my skin or perhaps the result of the draggy blade from earlier.

All in all this soap has a really nice fresh strong Lime smell to it, and I will try it again under better conditions and report back.

First a thanks to "Rev-O" for the chance to try this soap out :)

Prep = none as usual
Hardware = EJ De89 + 7'oclock yellow
Method = Bowl lathering
Brush = Best badger simpsons berkely
Smell method = 49 year old smokers nose
Water = soft

To start with the smell of the hard soap is great reminds me of opal fruits lemon/lime and is stronger and more zingy than Trumpers lime , but as always the smell dissipates alot upon lathering but its still discernible and fresh and clean smell , but losses its zingy sparkle.

Now to the lather , i wasnt hopeful , as i was chasing 3 bits of the soap around the container i had put it into , i gave up and was sure i hadnt got anywhere near enough to get a 1 pass shave let alone a 3 pass shave , but when i started to bowl lather , it started off tame , but then wham , theres a bowl full , i carried on whipping until i got to the consistency i like , the soap was full thick and slick , really great , it kept its consistency throughout the 3 passes and had produced far more lather than i needed , so to me it was a "Lather Monster" !!!

Its left my face feeling great , smooth moisturised and clean , even after a couple of hours , not quite as good as MWF or Mdc after effect but close.

Smell = 7/10
Lather = 9/10
Slickness = 7.5/10
After effect = 8/10

All in all a great summer soap , will carry on using it while the sunny weather continues :)

3rd shave with this now. Tried more water and lathered a lot longer than normal so the brush was very well loaded but still it doesn't last long on my face and i have to re lather mid shave. And i had to reload the bruh after pass two. This soap is really not for me. Shame really as the scent is really nice.

One last try.
Applied direct to my face this time (ie like a stick) the lather was again pretty good at first, but very quickly disappeared. I had to re-apply after 2nd pass.
As with most shave related items, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom