Curry Recipe Help !!

Right i have bought myself a slow cooker, i told my girlfriend that i can make curries and chilli etc etc, trying to sound like i was good and i have been asked to make us dinner tomorrow night, now apart from getting some chicken and throwing it in the slow cooker with a jar of curry sauce, i am looking for a nice recipe that is not to difficult or with millions of ingredients, but sort of tastes of curry rather than the chemical jar of s**t from the supermarket...

any ideas guys ? :?

Sorry I cant be of help S but I'm sure there are plenty Master chefs on here who'll come to your rescue.
Good luck with the dinner matey :)
regards, beejay

Steve, we are not going to be able to turn you into Madhur Jaffrey in one day so I'm being realistic...

Get some chicken breast and a fairly decent spice paste (not sauce) and a can or two of coconut milk. Chuck at least half the jar and the tin(s) of CM (to cover chicken)in a saucepan to mix well and then transfer to the SC to cook overnight. If it's a bit bland or too sweet add more paste and seasoning and leave to cook and finish before serving with some real coriander leaves. If it's too thin, cook with lid off to reduce or add a little tomato puree. To be honest this doesn't require overnight cooking more like an hour or two on the hob but I don't expect it'll do much harm.

Serve with pre bought Nan's that are part nuked and then grilled to a crisp.

Call it Coconut Country Chicken.

If you don't like coconut, go to M&S they do a modest Rogan Josh for two and bluff it.

Sounds like a plan Tony. :hungrig Steve, there are tonnes of slow cooker recipe books out there, such as this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamlyn-Colour-Cookbooks-Cooker-Recipes/dp/0600620697/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308591950&sr=8-1">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamlyn-Colour-C ... 950&sr=8-1</a><!-- m -->

I am sure you'll spot one at your next car boot sale for pennies. Slow cookers are brilliant things so make sure you get some use out of yours. I am sure your girlfriend will appreciate it! ;) If you want another recipe tonight let me know, I'm sure I could find something not too difficult. Then again, most SC recipes are pretty simple - just fry up some of the basic ingredients and bung them in with a few others.

OK this is a tried and tested one that works for me, it should work well in a slow cooker.

chopped chicken breasts
1 chicken oxo cube
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
1 tin Campbell's Batchelors condensed mushroom soup (looks like Campbell's soup is now Batchelors)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
about 3 heaped tea spoons of Pataks Rogan paste
about a desert spoon of tomato puree
You can also chuck in mushrooms or any veg you have left over and dried fruit like apricots and sultanas work too.
I tend to add in chopped coriander and a couple of quartered tomatoes about 20 mins before serving. At which point I would taste and if its too hot add some natural yogurt.

Good luck

Or you could just give her this:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9304&p=127217#p127217">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9304&p=127217#p127217</a><!-- l -->

:hungrig

Go to a website called curry frenzy. Get the spices mentioned, and do the appropriate prep mentioned in the recipes, then tailor it to a slow cooker. I.e. if something needs frying / toasing first, then do that. Then put all the bulk ingredients into the slow cooker. The recipes there adapt to slow cooking very well:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/html/curry-recipes.asp">http://www.curryfrenzy.com/curry/html/curry-recipes.asp</a><!-- m -->
I'm assuming a bit of basic cookery knowledge, with that you should be able to adapt things well.

If using a slow cooker,chicken on the bone is a must for me,it imparts great depth to the sauce.This is a tip i got from a mates mum who is from Kashmir.

Here is a link to another slow cooker thread:

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=8382&highlight=caribbean

I was searching for my tasty caribbean chicken recipe Steve. Well worth a try, it's yummy (insert hungry smiley here)!

RE: british christmas food

stephen789 said:
Hello,
The fast and convenient online store offering your favorite british christmas food right here in the USA. We invite you to browse through our store where you can find a wide range of British food favorites including English teas, Cadbury chocolate, Mcvities and Heinz to name a few. Order today, we offer the cheapest British food prices online and guarantee a fast and friendly service.

How much to send over to me in England fella.....

RB73 said:
stephen789 said:
Hello,
The fast and convenient online store offering your favorite british christmas food right here in the USA. We invite you to browse through our store where you can find a wide range of British food favorites including English teas, Cadbury chocolate, Mcvities and Heinz to name a few. Order today, we offer the cheapest British food prices online and guarantee a fast and friendly service.

How much to send over to me in England fella.....

Pmsl

Another good tip is to cut a lime in half and chuck it in. It gives it a lovely hint of sourness. Works very well with the curries I've made (though not any more as my wife hates them :icon_rolleyes: )

When you feel like going for it, this is my recipe.

[/b]Steve's Chicken Curry

1tsp Corriander Powder
1tsp Turmeric Powder
2tsp Cumin Powder
1/2tsp Cardamon Powder
1/4tsp Cinnamon Powder
2tsp Chilli Powder
1 sachet Pataks creamed coconut (Tesco)
5 cloves Garlic - through press and combine with Ginger
1" Fresh Ginger - through press and combine with Garlic
5 med Onions - blended
1 bunch Fresh Corriander
1/2tsp Mustard seeds
1des sp Tomato Puree
2tbl sp Chicken stock concentrate
3/4pt water
1 Fresh Lime ( zest & juice )
1 large Fresh Red Chilli - mostly finely chopped, but save 6 whole slices for garnish
4 Chicken breasts - cut into large cube
3tsp Demerara Sugar
New Potatoes cut into large pieces

Mix together corriander,turmeric,cumin,cardomon,chilli powder,mustared seeds and lightly fry in a little veg oil. DO NOT BURN

If burnt, start again !

Add the cubed Chicken and fry to seal. Most of the fried off spices will adhere to the chicken. Remove from pan, into a dish.

Add a little more oil to the pan. Add onions and fresh Garlic/fresh Ginger, Sugar. Fry lightly ( do not brown ) until onions are translucent. Add most of the chopped red chilli. Fry for 3 or 4 min.

Add chicken stock/water, potatoes and chicken. Cover and lightly simmer for about 3 hrs. Remove lid and up the heat to reduce the liquid. Add tomato puree and stir in. Add the creamed coconut and stir in. If the sauce is not thick enough, add some thickening granuals !( but don't tell anybody )

Just before serving, add a great big handful of chopped fresh corriander and the grated lime zest and lime juice. Stir in.

Pour it all into a big serving dish and sprinkle chopped fresh corriander and whole slices of fresh chilli on top just prior to serving.

HOT from the Chilli
SWEET from the Sugar
SOUR from the Lime

Fresh Chutney
2 Spring onions ,sliced
1/4 Large Cucumber cut into smallish dice
8 Cherry Tomato diced
lime zest, lime juice, chopped corriander, sweet chilli sauce ( HOT )

Combine all in a dish !!!!!

It really is good !

Steve

Back
Top Bottom