Cold Water or Feather Blade

OK while chatting to tazz last night mentioned was trying a feather blade for the first time today, after the usual banter said why not try cold water shave. Mind you he said I am a tough Scotsman and you are a softy southerner, so honor of the south to uphold this mornings shave was said feather blade and cold water.
My problem is now having changed 2 thing new blade never tried and first cold water shave, I am not sure what to attribute to the best shave I have had to date, as well as the best feeling ie most comfortable face 2 hours later.
All I know is will continue with cold water and feather blade.

I too had the same reaction when I used a feather. Just make sure you don't slack on technique, you'll cut yourself pretty easy!

This cold water shaving you speak of, is it just using cold water or is there a bit more to it?

Dipesh said:
I too had the same reaction when I used a feather. Just make sure you don't slack on technique, you'll cut yourself pretty easy!

This cold water shaving you speak of, is it just using cold water or is there a bit more to it?
No the normal prep that I always do but this time brush soaked in cold water MWF soaked in cold water then sink full of cold water.
Empty bowl of water with brush in and poor water from soap into it, then shake out brush load with soap, then face lather on washed but dried face,using the soapy water in the bowl to dip brush in to build lather, then shave, re applied soap for 2nd pass, then squeezed out brush and use that soap to very gently sort out any missed bits. No against the grain just aiming for comfortable shave at this point in my learning curve.
Finally washed in hot water to remove soap then normal cold flannel to finish, then drop of Freshwood Boots balm.

My shaves improved when I went to cold water (cool will do rather than ice cold, though cold is what I usually get), almost all the time, but Feathers still won't do it for me. Too aggravating/irritating/raw/whatever it is.

• There are some soaps out there that I think of as being 'hot water' and some 'cold water' soaps. MWF is a cold water soap for me; never did much of a job with hotter water. Henk's Dutch Moss shave cream seems to be a "hot water" shave so far.[/list:u]

Ok so today to avoid confusion put another brand new feather blade in, then used hot water. Conclusion an hour later, my face was more comfortable and in my view slightly closer shaved yesterday with the cold water.
Not sure if that flies in the face of traditionalism, but for me any way will be continuing my journey with an iKon MWF and Cold water.
Now to sort out the 15 blade types I already have. :hungrig

hello mol glad you like the cold water routing i fined it works the best for me i get a more comfortable shave during and after it with no irritation at all hope u have more great shaves to follow from it :D .

ps your still a wimp if you want to be a real man use some snow or ice cold water like us Scots lol kidding enjoy :lol:

Feathers are VERY sharp..but as another person commented "yes they are double sharp as other blades..but can dull twice as fast also"..I was wondering why on my 2nd shave the blade gets very harsh under my chin area..thats why..and for the price..you just paif for shipping from Japan as well!... :lol:

Blades

Feathers are VERY sharp..but as another person commented "yes they are double sharp as other blades..but can dull twice as fast also"..I was wondering why on my 2nd shave the blade gets very harsh under my chin area..thats why..and for the price..you just paif for shipping from Japan as well!... :lol:

Blades

Back
Top Bottom