Cheap preshave oil

Ive been using a home made mix of Olive oil/glycerin and tea tree oil as a pre shave oil as I have quite dry skin and find it quite effective.

I also use Glycerin for another hobby and this particular ebay seller supplies top quality at a good price.

classikool oils

I noticed that they also have a range of self blended preshave oils, so for £14/250ml I thought Id have a punt at the "luxury" mix, because I'm worth it :)

You speak of ''pre-shave oils', gazza, but your link goes to shave oils and there are no pre-shave oils in his shop.

So here's the question, is there difference between pre-shave oil and shave oil? And if so, what is the difference? They do very different jobs so as an ex-engineer, I would expect different properties - however, in the commercial world .......... Do they do only what it says on the tin or can you swap them with impunity?

Bechet45 said:
You speak of ''pre-shave oils', gazza, but your link goes to shave oils and there are no pre-shave oils in his shop.

So here's the question, is there difference between pre-shave oil and shave oil? And if so, what is the difference? They do very different jobs so as an ex-engineer, I would expect different properties - however, in the commercial world .......... Do they do only what it says on the tin or can you swap them with impunity?

LOL, you make a very good point. Something I didn't spot at whatever A.M. hour I was ebaying.

Their Glycerin is excellent stuff so I was hoping for good results.

I will attempt to swap them and see what happens.

I'm not sure there are any additives. Most of them are just combinations of different oils blended to get a decent smell and the right balance in terms of application to the skin i.e. they need to be fairly absorbent but not too runny.

Review:-

Ok best avoided if you have sensitive skin.

I had a shave using it on Saturday and noticed after the shave that I had more than the usual "small red blushes" (is there a technical term?) at the top of my cheeks, but I didn't think much of it as I was using other new products.

I just tried it again following the same pre-shave of a hot shower and washing my face with Musgo before putting the oil on while I lathered.

Odin's raven's beard! I could feel the stinging before the end of the first pass. I quickly finished up , nicking myself a couple of times, and then washed my face. The alum almost had my knees buckling.

I now look like a cat rapist and I'm going to have to break out the expensive stuff this evening , both post shave and alcohol wise.

Nice close shave with the vintage super speed off Carl tho'.

gazza said:
Ive been using a home made mix of Olive oil/glycerin and tea tree oil as a pre shave oil as I have quite dry skin and find it quite effective.

I also use Glycerin for another hobby and this particular ebay seller supplies top quality at a good price.

I noticed that they also have a range of self blended preshave oils, so for £14/250ml I thought Id have a punt at the "luxury" mix, because I'm worth it :)

Has anyone considered Bio Oil? I have used it as both pre-shave oil and as shaving oil but also as overnight moisturiser. It is not cheap but it lasts a very long time. It is available from Costco(UK) if you are lucky enough to live near one. Best yet, it is available on prescription (for acne and associated scars for instance) from your doctor if you can convince him/her so you you only pay the prescription charge.

I use it from time to time as a post shave moisturiser. It works quite well. It's a quite a thin oil, a bit greasy but gets absorbed quite quickly.

It's expensive, but it is on offer regularly from Amazon and Lloyds Pharmacy. I bought a 200ml bottle for £10, reduced from £20.

Lasts ages.

globalm said:
Shin Kei said:
Has anyone considered Bio Oil?

I'm a bit dubious about Bio-oil. The principal base oil is liquid parrafin. I just don't see mineral oil being good for the skin.

Like Johnson's baby oil its base constituent appears to be mineral oil and there is some controversy on the web but most of it not indicating any adverse effect but just highlighting concern over the fact that it is mineral oil. I get no commission so merely report that it works for me and my skin is pants.

Best wishes

John

gazza said:
....I now look like a cat rapist .....

I laughed out loud when I read that and almost spat coffee all over my keyboard!

Sorry that you had a bad shave.

Have you tried hair conditioner as a pre-shave?

I've found that since I've made the shift to face lathering, I no longer need p.s.o.

At last a saving from this wonderfully expensive hobby!

Wales4ever said:
gazza said:
....I now look like a cat rapist .....

I laughed out loud when I read that and almost spat coffee all over my keyboard!

Sorry that you had a bad shave.

Have you tried hair conditioner as a pre-shave?

I've found that since I've made the shift to face lathering, I no longer need p.s.o.

At last a saving from this wonderfully expensive hobby!

I'l give the conditioner a go. After years of a No1 I'm growing my hair out and looking at styles for balding men , so any advice on hair products would be welcome.

Since starting DE shaving Ive got into all sorts of weird and old fashioned toilette practices. Instead of a body creme, I use hard soaps and a flannel in the shower. Ive started taking more care over my bitten nails and now do a quick home manicure instead of nibbling them short.

does all this make me feel girly? only girly like girls who can punch a bear into submission.

Back
Top Bottom