Carbon Steel Knives.

I thought this would be the best place to post this as I have yet to attempt to shave with them. I have some carbon steel kitchen knives which I bought from Japan a few years ago and the etched 'paint' has started to come out. Any suggestions as to what I could use to enhance the dragon design again?

As you can see in this close-up, Misono is still nice and defined but some of the dragon has been lost.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Chris.

Greetings

That looks to my untrained eye to be a really nice and sensible sized and shaped general purpose kitchen/cooks knife. I don't really have any good suggestions for the dragon motif but I would just use it everyday and enjoy it and accept the motif will become less distinct with the passage of time.

I suspect that if you degreased it perfectly you could perhaps try a cold gun blue and then buff the bluing off the blade itself which would leave it only in the etching but I strongly suspect that if you used it daily as a knife like it deserves it would soon be worn off or eroded away by fruit acids etc.

Regards
Dick.

Gun shops doing a 'blueing' kit. You could try that, wipe it over the blade so it fills the etching and then wipe off the excess.

Like this http://www.solware.co.uk/shotgun-accessories/gun-blueing-maintenance.shtml

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the gun paint and maybe the light wire wooling around the dragon. It is pretty darn sharp as it is as I do maintin the edge. I do like the fact that carbon steel knives age so grubbily, does anyone remember when you could buy old carbon cook's knives on ebay? There used to be a couple of sellers in America who sold some really old and filthy ones.

Seems like blueing is a good suggestion if you want to keep the patina intact, what was the cost difference when buying in Japan?

antdad said:
Seems like blueing is a good suggestion if you want to keep the patina intact, what was the cost difference when buying in Japan?

I couldn't say as I don't think when I bought them they were for sale here. I do remember that the seller (japanesechefknives.com?) put the customs ticket value as £1.00 for two knives totalling well over £100 ...

Back
Top Bottom