car insurance

trying to sort out the wife's car insurance (due this month)
and after doing a trawl of the usual comparisson web sites i get a call from some lad from Admiral
she's with Diamond but turns out they Admiral and elephant are all the same lot

any-hoo
he tells me how much he could save me, etc blah blah
BTW the quote is up £50 from last year, i asked why and everyones insurance is going up so be warned :twisted:

but if we went on this Admiral multi-car instead of £600 odd a year for us both, he'll do it for £350 :shock:

anyone got any experience, good or bad, with this arrangement
i will check that the cover is of the same level etc

Just check whether you both retain your own no claims discount. if you put both cars on one policy one of you will loose their NCB. the way round this is to change the policy holder every 2 years. Ie you insure this year and the wife insures in 2 years time. I believe that after 3 years with no insurance in your name your loose your NCB so if you go somewhere else or circumstances change your premiums are huge.

IanM said:
The biggest test of an insurance company is how things go when you need to claim.

Ian

Yeah, so go with Admiral and have a shunt or a prang (you choose) then let us all know how they handled it. It's your turn to take one for the team.
:D

hando said:
thanks will do

but i think he might have mentioned protected NCD or NCB

They only protect the NCB of the person who's NBC is being used not the other. Ie you insure the car, the wife's NCB goes on hold. Your NCB Is protected if you make a claim but your wife's is still counting down. After, i believe 2 it may be 3years of your wife's NCB, if she hasn't used it to insure a vehicle will be lost. If in year 4 you decide for some reason to insure the vehicles separately she will have NO NCB and will have to start from zero again. Very expensive.

Just as a slight side thought. If you choose to transfer your NCB over to a commercial insurance, and then at a latter date decide to return to a domestic vehicle insurance you can't bring your NCB back. You LOOSE it.
I Have an old Toyota pick-up that i use for banging about in, But its not used for business. There is only 1 insurance company that will insure it as a private vehicle as opposed to a commercial vehicle. I got lots of much cheaper quote through commercial van insurance companies using my 15+ years NCB. However fortunately one of the van insurance companies told me that if i changed th vehicle back to a car and so required normal domestic insurance, I would not be able to transfer my NCB back. Commercial vehicle NCB is not transferable to domestic vehicle insurance. In the same way i can't use my Car NCB for my Motorcycle insurance or visa versa. They are completely different things. I could quite easily have been drawn into getting commercial insurance much cheaper for my pick-up only to find further down the road when i change the van for a car that i have lost all those hard earned years of NCB and have to pay fortunes to insure anything. Be warned!

heroblob said:
They only protect the NCB of the person who's NBC is being used not the other. Ie you insure the car, the wife's NCB goes on hold. Your NCB Is protected if you make a claim but your wife's is still counting down. After, i believe 2 it may be 3years of your wife's NCB, if she hasn't used it to insure a vehicle will be lost. If in year 4 you decide for some reason to insure the vehicles separately she will have NO NCB and will have to start from zero again. Very expensive.

your putting me off now, but thanks for the info
just the kind of thing i need to know ;)

Back
Top Bottom