Can certain blades cause ingrowns?

I've had a problem with a small patch of ingrown hairs on one cheek since I started DE shaving. I've always used Astra greens. I tried using Rapira's for a few weeks and the ingrowns went away. Now I'm back on the Astra's and the red lumps have returned. It appears the Astra's might be the cause. Does anyone else have experience of certain blades causing ingrowns and others not?

It might be the the different characteristics of the Astras are encouraging you to apply pressure or take too many strokes over the same area, thereby causing the ingrowns. If you don't get on with the Astras, I'll buy them from you - I use them in my 34c.

Ingrowns specifically haven't been a problem for me, but it's common for a particular blade to cause problems for a particular shaver. Feathers give me a rash on the neck for example.

There's plenty of others out there happily, so sell them on and try something else.

I think what Chris says is probably right...The Astra's,though smooth are not particularly sharp in my estimation, and you may be pressing on too hard to get a close finish to your shave...which will encourage ingrowns....

I only use Astra SP's in my R41 which is quite an aggressive razor...and for me the R41 needs the mild smoothness of an Astra to compensate for the aggression.......In my other razors i use sharper blades..

Feather
Gillette sharpedge (Yellow pack)
Permasharp

Canuck said:
Ingrowns specifically haven't been a problem for me, but it's common for a particular blade to cause problems for a particular shaver. Feathers give me a rash on the neck for example.

There's plenty of others out there happily, so sell them on and try something else.

its technique as well like others say, i used to get a bit of irritation on neck from feathers as well

strange though that i dont get it anymore on neck but i still find straight shaves more comfortable.

probably because ive been straight shaving a year but de shaving for only 5 months

I have always assumed that in growns are caused when the bristle is pulled up in one pass and the shaved off in another pass then the root sinks back and the tip of the hair goes below the skin level and proceeds to grow off in the wrong direction.

Assuming that is correct you need to you need to look at why the hair is being pulled up in the 1st place.
Off the top of my head that could be a blade that isn't quite as sharp as it could be or poor blade angle.

Jeltz said:
I have always assumed that in growns are caused when the bristle is pulled up in one pass and the shaved off in another pass then the root sinks back and the tip of the hair goes below the skin level and proceeds to grow off in the wrong direction.

Assuming that is correct you need to you need to look at why the hair is being pulled up in the 1st place.
Off the top of my head that could be a blade that isn't quite as sharp as it could be or poor blade angle.

Some ingrowns are more about a hair that curls back and grows in just next to where it emerges.

Thanks for your replies. It all makes sense. I'm right handed and the problem is on my right check. I reckon I'm pressing a bit too hard when using the Astra's. It's probably not as easy to press so hard round on the left side, which is why I'm free from ingrowns there. The wife says I should just shave left handed on my right cheek! I think I'll just switch to Rapiras instead, since they seem to work.

Think of the shaving as just skimming-off lather, not cutting hair - short strokes and don't shave areas that you've already shaven as there won't be any lather left there. I had to do this again recently as, after 18 months, I had become complacent, using long strokes and going over certain areas without reapplying lather. In my case, this complacency led to a nasty ingrown and some pockets of razor burn.

Back
Top Bottom