Brush restoration

I recently won an old shaving travel kit on the bay. It has the original 7 o'clock razor, complete with card razor spacer, the original shavig soap and brush are still in the tubes.

Now the brush is quite old and stiff, if possible I'd like to swap it for a nice badger knot, from what I've read doing it yourself for the first time isn't a good idea on a brush you don't want to knacker, so, is there anyone who might be up for refurbishing a brush for me?

If so, what would you need to know in order to give me a price and be reasonably confident that the job wouldn't go wrong?

Greetings

I know next to nothing about brush refurbishment, but am I correct in thinking you may find it hard getting a new knot small enough.

If the original was in one of the standard chrome/nickel tubes I think the knots on these brushes were only about 14mm and I would doubt there would be enough room to bore out the handle.

Just my initial thoughts and I could be wrong.

Regards
Dick.

After a quick look around the golden nib site (one of the best places to buy knots)
The smallest size I could see is 16mm best badger. So you may be able to widen the handle slightly so it will fit.

The Simpson "Wee Scot" has a 14mm knot. Maybe a wee PM to Mark may secure the knot you need?

In Best Badger it will be a belter (Simpson loft it at 35mm)

I recently bought one of these NOS sets and cant find anything to fit the brush tube. I think a wee Scott is about the only thing that will. I bought a small Muhle syn but even that was about 2mm too wide. Didn't cost me much but I'm a bit dissapointed and thinking about moving it on

Right, here is my aquisition.

The dimensions are: -

Total height = 83mm
Handle dia = 33mm
Handle height = 40mm
Current bristle length = 43mm
Dia of knot = 18mm

I gave it a try today, not on my face, just to see how it lathered, it's not bad but is shedding hair faster than my old boxer dog, so it's definitley going to need a new knot.

The container is 83mm internal height, so the loft can't be more than it is now, although something bushier would be nice.

TRXnMe said:
Right, here is my aquisition.

The dimensions are: -

Total height = 83mm
Handle dia = 33mm
Handle height = 40mm
Current bristle length = 43mm
Dia of knot = 18mm

I gave it a try today, not on my face, just to see how it lathered, it's not bad but is shedding hair faster than my old boxer dog, so it's definitley going to need a new knot.

The container is 83mm internal height, so the loft can't be more than it is now, although something bushier would be nice.

If its easier Ian, it looks like the handle could be turned out for an easier to get bigger knot.

If I absolutely can't get an 18mm for a sensible price then I may try to fit a 20mm, I've found a silver tip badger knot on the bay that's 18mm, but it's around £25 delivered, which puts it in line with a wee scot, and I can have some faith in the wee scot not falling apart due to the ineptitude :D

Also, if I muck it up and destroy the knot, I'd rather do that with a cheap boar brush....

Thinkinbg out loud time.... I may get hold of some boar knots and try setting them into some home made handles for practice, I've some wood working tools, and have access to some half decent hardwood through work, no wood lathe though, so the shape would be 'interesting'.

Alternately, I behave sensibly and buy a wee scot :D

I had a look on Teh Golden Nib website, I can get an 18mm silvertip for around 20 USD, including shipping, that's around £15 at today's exchange rate....

I can't justify it this month, but come January I might give it a go, I can use my time off over Christmas to strip the brush out, clean the hole up and think every part of the job through.

Would have been nice to have had this for my trip away at Christmas, but the WS will be OK in my shaving kit for that one and I've then got this to look forwards to for 2014 :)

Back
Top Bottom