Brush recommendation for my dad

Hi! I am hoping some experienced shavers on this forum might be able to help me.

I'm travelling home to Australia soon and I'd like to give my dad a "best Britain has to offer" shaving brush. I've done some research online and I've ended up confusing myself even more. I think I have a pretty healthy budget (around £75) but could go higher if worth it (maybe up to £100).

Of course, I have no idea what he would personally like in a shaving brush...so I guess I need a good allrounder that would be a safe bet. What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

To be honest you could get something just as good for a lot less from a bespoke brushmaker like Fido (new Forest Brushes) BeeJay (Le-Tuft) or Rod Neep.
Any one of them will make something custom and unique if you ask them, you might even be able to get one with a little personal touch (like a silver disc in the base of the handle engraved with something).

Personally I would go bespoke for something unique and individual.

I have three brushes, all badger hair and all quite unique. One is a Rod Neep soap stone handle brush which is lovely with my 1903 shave cream, one is a (one of only 5 made) New Forest brush which is a firm little number and works brilliantly with anything especially hard soaps and one is a Le-Tuft re-knot of a vintage butterscotch bakelite handle. Again works with anything but slightly softer than the New Forest. Its nice to know all three are hand made and not mass produced.

LE TUFT examples:-
6175a8ad.jpg

cb0b9ca5.jpg

welsh2.jpg

restore.jpg

NEW FOREST examples:-
Horn.jpg

Tubby+2.jpg

232BTP.jpg

NEEP examples:-
0962-box-ballx2.jpg

0845-01-stonebrush-300.jpg

0880-24-coffeecream01.jpg

Plus many many more. Does your father use hard soaps mostly or creams? Or both?

Thanks for the mention, but at present New Forest Brushes do not do custom - just a small range of branded hand made brushes using high end hair grades.

Bearing in mind what you say you want to achieve and how much you are prepared to spend, I'd seriously consider this:

http://fidosshavingbrushblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/simpson-duke-3-best.html

As a member of TSR you can get a 10% discount here:

http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Simpsons_shaving_brushes_and_accessories.html (It's the Simpsons Duke 3 in Best.)

You don't need to spend as much to secure similar quality but although the brushes are not technically made in England they are as "British" as anything you are likely to find and an iconic brand.

Fido said:
Thanks for the mention, but at present New Forest Brushes do not do custom - just a small range of branded hand made brushes using high end hair grades.
Ah, no I did mean bespoke in your case as in hand made and small run. Also as all the ones I mentioned damn fine quality for a lot less than many of the "big" names.
Its the route I would go, Ive tried a Simpson and I really didnt think it was any better than your brushes Peter, but thats just me.

Back
Top Bottom