Brush advice

I think it was Neil Miller that recommended running it over the Alum block, if it kills bacteria on your face then it should work on the brush which made sense to me. I have used shampoo in the past and also and tried Fairy liquid and they seem to work just as well as Borax; I bought the Borax to see if it worked better and it doesn't seem to be noticeably better but I will keep using that till it is done.

I don't get too hung up about sanitising or sterilising any of the shaving equipment but it all gets a clean now and again but with any regularity, just when I can be bothered or if I notice soap scum starting to build up. I do like keeping the shaving kit in good order, I have seen some M3 handles that are so thick with scum they look like they have stirred emulsion with them and I think that is grotty and just lazy. I would worry about picking some of them up them let alone putting them near my face.

I have never used boiling water so can't agree or disagree, I would stick to warm water and cleaning with soap, shampoo or other stuff that will dissolve the soap scum.

beejay said:
I think some people get too hung up about how to use brushes,,they're pretty tough and can take quite a lot.
Don't mash them up, don't use really water and clean them properly after use and a brush will last for a long long time.
How the shaver applies lather, be it bowl or face will have minimal affect on a brush in my opinion.

+1. Plus, even if you would wear out your brush somewhat faster, who cares. A brush is a commodity, and wear is inherent in its use, just like tooth brushes, paint brushes, knives, or cars. The primary issue is, does its use give you satisfaction. If so, all is fine, and if using it differently it gives more satisfaction, advising people to use it in that way is fine too, but recommending alternative MOAs just to slow down the inevitable wear is missing the point. And if you really are concerned about conserving your brush because in 20 years time brushes will have become a thing of the past - just buy a lifetime supply now...

henkverhaar said:
beejay said:
I think some people get too hung up about how to use brushes,,they're pretty tough and can take quite a lot.
Don't mash them up, don't use really water and clean them properly after use and a brush will last for a long long time.
How the shaver applies lather, be it bowl or face will have minimal affect on a brush in my opinion.

+1. Plus, even if you would wear out your brush somewhat faster, who cares. A brush is a commodity, and wear is inherent in its use, just like tooth brushes, paint brushes, knives, or cars. The primary issue is, does its use give you satisfaction. If so, all is fine, and if using it differently it gives more satisfaction, advising people to use it in that way is fine too, but recommending alternative MOAs just to slow down the inevitable wear is missing the point. And if you really are concerned about conserving your brush because in 20 years time brushes will have become a thing of the past - just buy a lifetime supply now...

Totally agree. :cool:

Pig Cat said:
henkverhaar said:
beejay said:

Totally agree. :cool:

HELLO!?!? They´re brush sales men, of course they think it´s ok to smash your brush up :rolleyes:, lol.

I´ve got a hard time seeing my brushes run out before me though and I kind of agree they´re tough. Agree with Henk aswell, re badger/animal brushes maybe´ll be a ting of the past, not long from now ...

henkverhaar said:
And if you really are concerned about conserving your brush because in 20 years time brushes will have become a thing of the past - just buy a lifetime supply now...

I expect most of us have already done that! :D

Back
Top Bottom