Broth

Two marrow bones simmered for 12 hours, now turned into a few litres of solid jelly, most of which is now in the freezer. Already made a 'vegetable' soup with some, and very nice it was too. Anyone do this? I've tried making broth before from chicken and turkey carcasses, but think now I didn't simmer for long enough. Although presumably they wouldn't require as long as the giant marrow bones.

yea...its very popular

now cereals and pulses...and leeks onions shredded carrots parsnips and turnip...and anything else u can thing off

cook until wooden spoon stands up without tipping over...a fresh stottie (dont know what is called in your area) like a flat bread i spose and your sorted

oh and summit for the wind that will follow a few hours later

Pigs trotters are also a possibility.........I feel a sudden urge to use the sad neglected parts.....and before Pigcat comes along, yes, I do draw the line somewhere.
Some people suggest that you spread the marrow that is falling out of the bone after cooking on a slice of toast. But have you seen that stuff??!!! However, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that I might one day toughen up enough to pulverise it beyond recognition into a soup or stew.....
As for wind, I did notice some such the next day after the soup, although only a smattering of lentils were involved in addition to vegetables, and no-one else had the same experience. Is this a problem normally associated with broth?

I'll make a stock out of leftover anything, and it often goes to make a soup or broth (or bisque or consomé etc...). Also love to have a tub of stock in the fridge for risotto which is a satisfying tea/dinner/supper dish.

Waitrose near me often do a pack of chicken wings for dirt cheap which I'll snaffle and make chicken stock and then spend a few mins picking the meat off which is great for sandwiches or chicken soup. I got an oxtail from the butcher at the weekend, very cheap and makes its own gorgeous stock/broth if you cook it slow in the oven with vegetables aw man I'm starving hungry now.

Back
Top Bottom