British Lions in HK & Australia

jds

The Six Nations is over, the Heineken is at Semi-Final stage and the domestic competitions are rapidly coming to their conclusions... so what's everyone's thoughts on Lions Captaincy, how the team will fare, those unexpected stars that always seem to come through in a Lions tour? Match days may well be the first occasion that I regret ending my Sky Sports subscription..

For me captain is difficult - I would prefer Warburton to concentrate on nullifying Pocock at the breakdown, rather than leading. I think Robshaw is a good leader, but not first choice in his position. How about someone like Gethin Jenkins - experienced, respected, probably first choice...?

I think the Lions will win the series and I can see a 3-0 whitewash with three hard fought, but close games.

Unexpected starts - Joe Launchbury, Stuart Hogg, Billy 12trees

Expected Stars - Cuthbert, Mike Phillips.

My last attempt at predictions was woefully pathetic, so I'll see how I fare this time.

Looking forward to it, though...

Jon

Pocock is out of the series with an injury, my captain and I think he showed why in last weekends fixture against Quins would be Paul O'Connell great player and leader, I would have him and Alun Wyn Jones as my two certs for the second rows, I think Mike Phillips is the number 9 no questions asked, Warbuton another definite, Halfpenny, well I had him down as first choice even before the six nations started. I would personally include 11 Wales players in the lineup.

Jamie.

My lineup.

15 Halfpenny
14 Cuthbert
13 O'Driscoll
12 Roberts
11 North
10 Farrell
9 Phillips
8 Falatau
7 Warburton
6 O'brien
5 O'Connell Captain
4 Alun Wyn Jones
3 Gethin Jenkins
2 Hibbard
1 Adam Jones

pugh-the-special-one said:
Pocock is out of the series with an injury, my captain and I think he showed why in last weekends fixture against Quins would be Paul O'Connell great player and leader, I would have him and Alun Wyn Jones as my two certs for the second rows, I think Mike Phillips is the number 9 no questions asked, Warbuton another definite, Halfpenny, well I had him down as first choice even before the six nations started. I personally include 11 Wales players in the lineup.

Jamie.

My lineup.

15 Halfpenny
14 Cuthbert
13 O'Driscoll
12 Roberts
11 North
10 Farrell
9 Phillips
8 Falatau
7 Warburton
6 O'brien
5 O'Connell Captain
4 Alun Wyn Jones
3 Gethin Jenkins
2 Hibbard
1 Adam Jones

I can't disagree and I myself don't really understand it, but how can England, who were second in the Championship and won the same number of games as Wales only have one player in there? I'd still go with Gethin J as skipper and leave O'Connell to concentrate on his game, after all he is on his way back from injury. Given the likelihood of hard, fast pitches I think Tom Croft could merit a spot and he has been there before. Apart from that I hate to say it but I think BoD should not be first choice anymore, I don't think his body can take it.

On any score it's a strong team I think.

Bring it on...

I think both Tuilagi and Robshaw will be accomodated somewhere if only to even the numbers up.

Jon, I can't see Twelvetrees making it into the Test day squad so it may have to be the mid-week games where he makes his mark.

UKRob said:
I think both Tuilagi and Robshaw will be accomodated somewhere if only to even the numbers up.

Jon, I can't see Twelvetrees making it into the Test day squad so it may have to be the mid-week games where he makes his mark.

I think you'll be correct about young Billy, but I was really hoping that a bit of test time would give him some experience. I have high hopes for the young man; at last a real potential successor to Will Greenwood in the creativity and footballing brain departments. Personally I don't see BoD as nailing down a test spot so I'd be happy for Billy to have a game or two alongside the great man.

Concur re Tuilagi and Robshaw... they will get some part, Robshaw will be part of the leadership group they tend to form on these tours, if only to give some element of togetherness, but he deserves something.

Looking forward to it...

How about Freddie Burns getting a trip?

Thing is Chris every backrow forward that's been picked in my opinion are better than Robshaw, and as for inside center O'Driscoll and Roberts can both play inside center, but on saying that I still think the team is to strong for the Aussies.

Jamie

I'm disappointed for Robshaw, thought he deserved a spot. And, as Alf Ramsey pointed out, the best team is not necessarily made up of the best players. I thought he would have been an integral part of the leadership team. I think Warburton is an outstanding player, but not so sure of his captaincy credentials.
O'Driscoll is there on reputation I think, nothing more. One season too long for him. I pray that his body holds together, for his sake.
Can't really argue against much of the rest. I think Mako & Matt will make merry hell on the fast grounds, as will all the Welsh footballers. Strongest, position has to be full-back (possibly scrum half) with Halfpenny, Kearney and Hogg.

I think it will be too strong for the Aussies and will actually be a pretty equal division of players with Wales having the most, England 2nd, Ireland 3rd, Scotland 4th.

All the best

Jon

Back
Top Bottom