Brass or Gold 1912? (Pic heavy)

This just arrived. Now I should know what brass looks like but this uns a bit odd. It has/had that familiar green tarnish indicitive of brass but it still looks odd to me. Inside the head where I haven't polished looks a different colour, almost orange.

Most of the razor was that colour until I washed it and gave it a rub. There was also some sort of lacquer over it which peeled off in my hand. It couldn't have been plating. It was sorta clear and dirty.

Whadaya all reckon? It's going to be a user so I won't be polishing it obsessively. Just more than curious.

51c68ed6-695b-45ae-938f-e18a45acb5c1_zpsmksipafy.jpg

aeb06b78-2114-4f2b-9e28-50dc0cf2d181_zpsv7hfndqh.jpg

c26a135d-b98d-4b64-972c-277519c15cb9_zpsntgzdn07.jpg

e55721b0-5977-4c0d-8633-ccb102cc3e2c_zps27n2txys.jpg

40e7c276-a86b-4d08-8247-466776cba054_zpsrmlyvwxw.jpg

SAM_1991_zps43228501.jpg

Looks gold to me. Some people cover such plating with lacquer to protect it, which could be what came off.

Rereading you said most of it was that colour and clear when it came off. Is it possible time and the elements caused the plating plus lacquer to come off and the plating was thin enough to be transparent?

Gold ... and de-plating.

Someone has polished the easy bits - the cap, the back and inside. To finish the job and have at least an even looking example, get a decent abrasive metal polish (like Elsterglanz) and give it a damn good scrubbing with a toothbrush! Nothing obsessive, just evening up the finish :D

pjgh said:
Gold ... and de-plating.

Someone has polished the easy bits - the cap, the back and inside. To finish the job and have at least an even looking example, get a decent abrasive metal polish (like Elsterglanz) and give it a damn good scrubbing with a toothbrush! Nothing obsessive, just evening up the finish :D

Done. The orange bits have all gone and it's now all the same colour.

a146b38a-cc16-46b4-93cd-1e4c2207e3c9_zpsn9kykiba.jpg

d27ec9a8-5eca-4512-a26b-14cc5d3ed5c0_zpsmn5pu1gm.jpg

This one's a cracker. There's no obvious plating loss visible to the naked eye. If it's Gold plated it's a good un. Just chopped a chunk out of me goatee shaping it with a shavette. Bugger ah well the 1912 will finish the job tomorrow.

Glad you like it. Re your grubby one...I've got another nickel plated 1912 coming tomorrow I snapped up for £5 on the Bay. I'm thinking of stripping it back to the brass. Here's my thinking. I live in London which is a hard water area, limescale gets everywhere. Anyway I would clean my bathroom taps with Harpic toilet cleaner. It strips limescale easy but can damage chrome. One day I forgot to wash it off and it did indeed strip all the chrome off the bath taps. I'm thinking it should take the nickel plating off too. Cheap and cheerful if it works.

Mind you I'm also thinking timing may be crucial cuz it may eat the brass if left on too long. I dunno. I think it'll eat anything except toilet bowls.

Worth a try if you've only spent a fiver. I'm no expert on the matter though (Stripping nickel that is - two teenage lads so cleaning the bathroom is something I'm well versed in!) and wonder if there might be a problem if the nickel isn't evenly distributed regarding wear and tear?

Back
Top Bottom