Bowl with a catch

Bought a mitchels wool fat soap with a wooden bowl from connaught,the soap is brilliant but the bowl in the other hand,isn't.
After it's first visit to my bathroom the ultra thin layer of laminated wood effect peeled off like a treat and what appears to be HDF showed up underneath.Who knows maybe it'll fall apart sometime soon.

Not very impressed with this purchase,if you want a high quality bowl give this one a miss,pay the extra dosh and get TOBS real wood soap bowl.

Dipesh said:
Noted. I was actually going to get that bowl too. Thank you James :)

No worries mate,that's what this section is for.The bowl appears to be made from HDF with a very thin fake wood layer.All I did was pouring some water to soften the soap and started moving the brush inside in circular motion,it was only after the shave when I discovered it all started to peel away.

It's now all dry so I had a look and there ae sign of bubbles starting to form on the side of the bowl.Definitly a very cheaply made,low quality product.

Well I a couple of wooden bowls from Paul and they are great. I can't see how they can't be solid wood, but even if they aren't there is no sign of any problems. Considering Paul is a long-standing member here and generally well regarded perhaps you should seek an answer from him about this. Fair enough highlighting the problem but it would be nice to let him have his say.

James_uk said:
All I did was pouring some water to soften the soap

Well don't - it's not required. simply spend more time loading the brush...

Special consideration: MWF has lanolin in it, it's the whole point of "wool fat", lanolin melts at around 38C - water hotter than that will tend to melt the lanolin out and eventually you'll end up with a lanolin free soap.

hunnymonster said:
James_uk said:
All I did was pouring some water to soften the soap

Well don't - it's not required. simply spend more time loading the brush...

Special consideration: MWF has lanolin in it, it's the whole point of "wool fat", lanolin melts at around 38C - water hotter than that will tend to melt the lanolin out and eventually you'll end up with a lanolin free soap.

Ah, hence why in another thread someone (Mantic, Antdad, you?) suggests using warm rather than hot water with MWF. I suppose once you've loaded your brush you could add a drop of hot water before face-lathering, or you could use a scuttle to heat the lather.

Pig Cat said:
Ah, hence why in another thread someone (Mantic, Antdad, you?) suggests using warm rather than hot water with MWF. I suppose once you've loaded your brush you could add a drop of hot water before face-lathering, or you could use a scuttle to heat the lather.

I don't advocate using any water on it - I base my use on what Kent say and what Graham at Mitchell's told me - after all, both should know more about my soap than I do...

If you must use water though, the cooler the better. For me the brush just needs a wee bit more loading and the need for water soaking is mitigated.

James_uk said:
Dipesh said:
Noted. I was actually going to get that bowl too. Thank you James :)

No worries mate,that's what this section is for.The bowl appears to be made from HDF with a very thin fake wood layer.All I did was pouring some water to soften the soap and started moving the brush inside in circular motion,it was only after the shave when I discovered it all started to peel away.

It's now all dry so I had a look and there ae sign of bubbles starting to form on the side of the bowl.Definitly a very cheaply made,low quality product.

What's doin James,

Personally, I don't believe Paul knowingly sold you a defective bowl, and it might not even be possible to know of that problem until the bowl was actually used.

I've done many deals with Paul in the past without any problems, and I'm confident he would make things right.......if you contacted him about the problem. If it was me, I would have given him a chance resolve the issue by private email. If there's still a problem after that, then maybe say something in the forum.

I would give Paul (or any respected vendor) the benefit of any doubt. Your call on this, but it's something to consider.

James, I hope you take this post as a helpful one, with no offense meant and hopefully none taken. Just another way of looking at things is all.

Martin

Pig Cat said:
Well I a couple of wooden bowls from Paul and they are great. I can't see how they can't be solid wood, but even if they aren't there is no sign of any problems. Considering Paul is a long-standing member here and generally well regarded perhaps you should seek an answer from him about this. Fair enough highlighting the problem but it would be nice to let him have his say.

Yes I never had any issues with Paul on other products,I will have a word with him about the bowl and address the problem.

Maybe I should have discussed this with Paul before writting this. In future I will contact the vendor before I talk about my experience here.

MWF in an ebonised oak bowl was one of my first soap purchases from Paul if I remember rightly. ... and if I mis-remember it, it's no big deal, as I did buy it in bowl from him. It's stood up just fine so far with no signs of deterioration.

I add water to it all the time, but I am primarily a cold-water shaver, as many might remember, if it was ever that important to them, from several older SotD posts. The adding water to it is just my personal preference and habit, as I do this with most soaps I shave with, but it seems to work for me.

Suspect the quality control probs are likely connected with the supplier changing their methods & not notifying the sellers. LI've got a MWF wooden bowl which has been in use with me for a couple of years now & it's a fairly heavy solid piece of wood. Just unfortunate when something like this happens.

JohnnyO. :?

All my bowls are turned from solid wood & are made by the same company that makes all the London co's bowls. They are native Indian hardwood or imported Asian harwood from a reputable source.

They have a good few layers of vanish which can peel off if the bowl is left in wet conditions. The bowls are not ment to be kept wet, they meant to be used as you would a shaving cream or any other soap bowl; use, then leave to dry.

If anyone would like contact us with a photo of any issue they are welcome to do so.

Best regards,

Paul

Mr P D Mayhew
Suffolk Supplies
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom