Bottom Rung

I shaved tonight since I have to arise early and I decided to use the cheapest of the cheap blades available retail here, the lowly Chinese made Daxton that retails circa $1.25 for five. For some obscure reason I decided to use my Mühle R89 and Williams soap. No, it was not a great shave, but it was a decent shave. Probably not unlike men received back before the 60's. But, the bottom line is that the final results were equal to any top tier blade with an artisan soap. It's just that the path there required more refined technique, patience & attentiveness on my part.

Whether you use cheaper or more mainstream products or you like high end artisan stuff makes no difference as long as you’re satisfied with what you get out of them.
I remember when I only had a select few shaving products, none of which were expensive. The carts were probably the most expensive thing !
I used one soap ( or gel :eek: ) till it was finished and a cheap bristle brush that was like using a hedgehog on my face. I used Mach3 or Sensor Excel carts and a couple of run of the mill aftershaves.
Overall I was generally pretty happy with results back then but I have to say these days my shaves are on a whole other level thanks to my world being expanded by the wet shaving community ............. and the rabbit-hole of course !!

I shaved tonight since I have to arise early and I decided to use the cheapest of the cheap blades available retail here, the lowly Chinese made Daxton that retails circa $1.25 for five. For some obscure reason I decided to use my Mühle R89 and Williams soap. No, it was not a great shave, but it was a decent shave. Probably not unlike men received back before the 60's. But, the bottom line is that the final results were equal to any top tier blade with an artisan soap. It's just that the path there required more refined technique, patience & attentiveness on my part.

I do have to say an 89 could easily be my razor for life if only I wasn't so fascinated by everything else out there.

I would never say it delivers outright excellence, but it does deliver satisfaction together with honesty as it doesn't pretend to be any more than what it is.

One of the all time greats for me

Sorry it was more about the razor than the blade, but just to add I find the 89 so good I have yet to find a blade which doesn't work in one.

Don't worry. I got the R89 and a mint Schick Krona in a BST deal combined for like $25 shipped here in the USA!! I enjoy it once in awhile, but the Tech is, at least for me, a better shaver. I feel fortunate in that as such I haven't had RAD for years. ;)

Back
Top Bottom