Bogton Loch

While out walking the dogs this morning there wasn't a breath of wind, and there was a near perfect reflection of the hills in the mirror like loch.

I took the pictures using my Nokia camera phone.

You can hardly see the loch in the 2nd pic, but it's there, reflecting the trees!

14102010096.jpg

14102010098.jpg

14102010095.jpg

Wow..green colors!..lol..not much of that here in the states unless you live in the country side..whatta great lake!..is Nessy hiding by chance!?....

Attachments

• loch_ness_monster.gif
    360 bytes · Views: 114
Good pictures from a phone, i'm very jealous of where you get to exercise the dogs. Mine have to make do with a run around the block a couple of times a day.

I need to win the lottery

It looks very scenic and tranquil over there.

I am loving this tranquil weather at the moment as the Autumn colours are coming in well and the leaves are staying on the trees making very picturesque scenes :)

Great pictures! camera phones are amazing, they might not take the best pictures, but you've always got a camera on you these days for unexpected opportunities like that.

rangers62 said:
STG

We should remember how lucky we are up here. Only ever 10 -20 mins from stunning scenery.

Yep. I'm spoiled for choice when it comes to walks, and yesterday was a lovely day. The pics don't do it justice.

There's a bit of history associated with that area. It's known locally as "The Promised Land". During the time of Robert the Bruce, Dalmellington was captured by the English. The Scots forces under the leadership of Lord Seton (Bruce's brother in law) took refuge on the island where Loch Doon castle then stood. The English soldiers couldn't reach him, but Seton could not escape.

The English decided to try to flood the island by building a dam of tree trunks and animal skins. As the water level started to rise, Seton asked one of his men (McNab) to swim the length of the loch by night and breach the dam. In return he promised him the flat and fertile farming land on the edge of Dalmellington once it was recovered.

McNab completed his assignment and succeeded in breaching the dam, so saving Seton and his men. Sadly he was swept down the river gorge and drowned.

Although not shown on any map, the land between Bogton Loch and Dalmellington is still known as the promised land. The name has survived for nearly a thousand years.

Back
Top Bottom