Board Features

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Almost a year in and I am thinking about useful features for the forum.To keep initial costs down I went for PHPBB3 (which is free) but lacks certain features as a vanilla install.It is possible to add mods to the board but they can be time consuming to get right.I have been thinking that an upgrade to VBulletin could make things a little less time consuming.In essence this is the boards that many other shaving forums use so the functionality would be similar.The question is do you want the extra functionality?
I am talking about the review sections, chat room etc.

PS I will be in and out the chat room this afternoon if anyone wants to chew the fat.

As it stands, the forum is perfectly good enough as it is. I don't really know how difficult it is to add stuff to it, but do you get many requests for things to be added? The forum seems very stable - I have hardly ever known it not to be available, and navigating around it is easy enough.

Now those points above are from THIS side of the forum, but if it is proving time consuming for you (boab) to manage it, then perhaps you may need to look at alternatives, or even getting some assistance?

Ian

phpBB works fine! Sure it lacks some of the finesse of vBulletin but IMHO that's not reason enough to pay and for VB.

It aint broke, Boab, no need to fix it ;)

Up to you, don't mind either way. If VB has features that make your life as administrator much much easier then it might be worth the cost.

I'd leave it and see if the active membership increases significantly over the next year. Is that VB licence fee per annum?

This forum ticks along just fine for me and is a credit to the mods and its members.

Our review section is underused and basic IMO, but that is something for us the posters to work on as membership increases. The bells and whistles that other sites have I don't think would be worth the cost at this time.

Jeltz said:
phpBB works fine! Sure it lacks some of the finesse of vBulletin but IMHO that's not reason enough to pay and for VB.

It aint broke, Boab, no need to fix it ;)

I agree with Jeltz.

IanM said:
As it stands, the forum is perfectly good enough as it is. I don't really know how difficult it is to add stuff to it, but do you get many requests for things to be added? The forum seems very stable - I have hardly ever known it not to be available, and navigating around it is easy enough.

True, as long as I don’t have to purchase and hook up a flux capacitor im happy as is.

Now those points above are from THIS side of the forum, but if it is proving time consuming for you (boab) to manage it, then perhaps you may need to look at alternatives, or even getting some assistance?

What like meals on wheels like... ;)

Ian

Very happy with the place as it is. I have no need for any extra bells and whistles, but I'll happily play with any that come my way.

As above, if it makes things easier at the administrator end go for it.

I quite like Vanilla but that's just as an end user, no idea what it's like behind the scenes.

What they say: I like it as it is but anything that makes your life easier as site admin will be fine with me.

I'd also happily send some money if this is costing (I have no idea how these things work or who pays whom for what, or if indeed any money changes hands at all - so you can blag and rip me off!)

Back
Top Bottom