Blue Sky

My son and I went for our first 'proper' hike of the year yesterday. We walked Sallagh Braes, part of the Ulster Way, near the village of Cairncastle in Co. Antrim. This series of ridges stretches from Larne as far as the village of Glenarm in the Glens of Antrim. In the distance is the small coastal village of Ballygalley, home to the Ballygalley Hotel with its famous haunted tower. The sky was a lovely blue and, thanks to the ash from the Iceland volcano turning our airspace into a no-fly zone, was completetly devoid of the usual vapour trails from planes

item.jpg

The only 'people' we met on our walk were sheep :) When we set off mine was the only car in the car park. On our return there were a couple of white van men, stopped for a break. An eldery retired couple out on a motorcycle ride, pulled up for a rest and stayed to chat with us for a while before heading off again. Other than that all we heard were the sheep, the wind, the birds and the sound of the sea in the distance. A great way to chill out!
More photos at http://www.phenry.co.uk (Cairncastle May 2010 folder), if you're interested

Wonderful. I'll soon be off for my annual walk along West Wight - from the Needles across Tennyson Down and on, and on. Spectacular views of the Solent. But there will be e few people among the sheep.

Fido said:
Wonderful. I'll soon be off for my annual walk along West Wight - from the Needles across Tennyson Down and on, and on. Spectacular views of the Solent. But there will be e few people among the sheep.
Pics or it didn't happen :lol:

Looks great, Fido. I'll be in Norfolk in June so I'm hoping to get a few walks under my belt then, along with a few samples of Real Ale and cider. We will be staying in Ranworth (nearest brewery is Woodforde's). Originally we had looked at Heacham for somewhere to stay, but it's coastal and a bit similar to home, so we opted for the rural choice. Any ideas for walks in Norfolk gratefully accepted :) Our party is mixed with my son Martyn and me being the only keen walkers. The rest of our group are, unfortunately, more Sunday strollers than proper hikists.

Not to worry, I'll just go where my feet take me. I'm looking forward to a relaxing break and walking the rural roads of Norfolk will do that for me. Only 7 weeks to go!

Back
Top Bottom