Blade sharpener

Just for interest
Back in the late 80s I was working and up in customers loft.
I used to fiind allsorts in lofts but on this day I found a razor blade sharpener.
You clipped blade inside and it had wheels with strong twine.
Customer explained you attach one end of twine to something then pull tight while sliding this boxed blade up and down.
Inside box was sharpening stones that moved to put edge on blade..

Anyone got one? Collectable?

Looking online. Maybe a Bakelite razor blade sharpener

Collectable, yes if you collect shaving related gear.
Thankfully razor blades are so cheap now so we don't have to sharpen our blades.
I have know idea how effective these sharpeners were though having never used one.
They show up from time to time on eBay.

Paul.

I think that back in the day the blades were made of thicker metal and were uncoated, so people tried to freshen up the edge after use.

There are old tales of pressing and curving a blade into the inside curve of a drinking glass and running it round the glass to re-sharpen it or extend the life of the blade.

As has been said, its unlikely to be of much use with modern , coated blades that cost a few pence each. But a fascinating device though and a great collectable.

I think that back in the day the blades were made of thicker metal and were uncoated, so people tried to freshen up the edge after use.

There are old tales of pressing and curving a blade into the inside curve of a drinking glass and running it round the glass to re-sharpen it or extend the life of the blade.

As has been said, its unlikely to be of much use with modern , coated blades that cost a few pence each. But a fascinating device though and a great collectable.
There is also the excellently named "LilliCrap's Hone" - Hundreds of shaves from one blade!

sharpenerlillicraphone1a.jpg

There is also the excellently named "LilliCrap's Hone" - Hundreds of shaves from one blade!

sharpenerlillicraphone1a.jpg
I have one, and it can work on some blades, especially vintage ones. As previously noted, they're mainly to freshen a blade edge, and they won't restore it to "as new" (at least, I haven't achieved it). Unlike the sharpening wheel models, where the blade is loaded into the machine, these things require the user to handle the bare blade; unless you use pliers or some other holding device, or wear gloves.

The green colour of these (and of other older green glassware) is achieved by the admixture of uranium oxide to the glass. I know some chaps who work at Sizewell nuclear power station, and it has long been my intention to ask for the loan of a Geiger counter to see just how radioactive they are. However, they are nice to look at, and who doesn't want a piece of uranium glass around the house? They also seem to have increased in value, especially those complete with the cardboard box.

Back
Top Bottom