Blade Life

I mentioned this in a previous thread and 4 shaves seemed to be about average. When i was cart shaving i just kept using until the blade felt dull. So i thought i'd try this approach with my gems, so after reaching shave number 8 on one blade i'm still getting a nice close shave with no stinging from the alum. certainly much better than the 3 shaves fron DE blades i've tried. So m going to keep going until the blade tells me its had enough.

atb Paul

Good stuff ... I recall taking one to over 10 shaves and only switched to a fresh blade out of curiosity. Yes, it was a lot sharper, but then the old blade still shaved well ... and like you, I use alum to "prove" the shave. I think these firmer blades have a much longer play time and can play out much better than a thinner (DE) blade.

I tend to bin them after 5 shaves, I don't have especially thick growth but I always seem to get some sort of irritation if I try to use the same blade for longer than that..

Took a Rapira to shave #5 & whilst there was no redness, my face felt as if I'd sandpapered it.

1912 back in the rotation as from tomorrow so interested to see how many shaves from its considerably heavier duty blades (only went to 5 on the last rotation, but no issues, so...)

Shemen Zait said:
I don't get irritation from dull DE blades, for me the sign is how close the shave is on my chick bones.

Thats exactly what i found on the 10th shave, 2 wtg and 1 atg and 0 irritation but not close enough, feels like it could go on for ever but i'm not that hard up so in the bin it goes. Gives me the chance to try my new to me Autostrop i recently aquired :icon_razz:

atb Paul

Just finished a little trial, using an MM open comb loaded up with a GEM S/S. Using it
on alternate days , against ER/Gems with blade transferred between the others.

Have got up to 10, and found the Open Comb delivered really good shaves throughout,
and probably just beat the shave on 10 with the Streamline .

I really like the MMOC, having been somewhat wary of its reputation. As for the blade,
I may keep it in the MMOC and have a few more Shaves. Have yet to try the Carbon Blades,
sent to me by Dick.

That's a sound approach - personally, I think the reputation of the MMOC is much akin to the Muhle R41 and quite undeserved. These are efficient shavers, rather than aggressive, and certainly get to the point quickly with even shaves throughout.

Just had shave number 9 on a Feather Super Pro blade in my trusty Mongoose.

Still close, still smooth, still no irritation.

I am 3 shaves and that's it with a DE blade.

Looking at a bulk buy of blades for the Mobgoose/Cobra. Looks like Feather Super Pro for the Mongoose. About to trial Kai Mild in the Cobra.

Leant the Cobra to a pal, so may have to wait.

5 weeks with a Mongoose, and only had 3 DE shaves. It really is a belter!

Back
Top Bottom