Black dal/makhani recipe

There was some chatter here about black dal recently so I looked it up on the interwebs and made it a couple of times with moderate success. Texture great (pressure cooker) but not irresistable flavour and I like my dal, grind my spices etc. Do you have a decent recipe because there seems to be alot of variations out there?

Hiya I will post up a recipe this evening that is my mum's method and tastes divine, it is for Tarka Daal. Tarka being the Punjabi term for massala. Great texture with ginger poking through on a light garlic base.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've not got a recipe for black dhal (one of the local curry houses does a lovely creamy one) but this is my go to recipe. I often double up this up or add veg, paneer to it. If cooking larger batches, I'll cook for a bit longer.

Ingredients:

0.5 Tbsp oil

2 dry chillies or another 1 or 2 if you like it spicier

1 Indian bay leaf (or European if you don't have Indian)

0.5 tsp panch phoron

1 small onion chopped

4 cloves garlic sliced

200 g red lentils washed under water in a sieve for 5 minutes until clean

0.25 tsp turmeric

0.5 tsp cumin

0.5 tsp salt + add more to taste at the end of cooking if needed

Water

2-3 Tbsp fresh / frozen coriander

For 2 people for lunch generously or 4 as a side dish

Method:

Heat oil until hot but not smoking

Add the chillies and bay leaf

After 30 seconds add the panch phoron and fry until you hear the seeds crack and pop

Add onion and garlic and fry until the edges catch ( don't be scared of the garlic burning .. it shouldn't)

Add the clean drained lentils and fry for around 5 minutes stirring from time to time

Add the turmeric, cumin and salt and fry for a further couple of minutes

Add water, to a couple of cm above the lentils, and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally

Turn down the heat and cook, uncovered, for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, adding water, if required, until the desired consistency is obtained. The lentils are cooked when you can barely discern that they are lentils due to them breaking down

Finally, add further salt to taste and 2-3 Tbsp fresh/frozen coriander (or dry coriander leaf), stir and serve
  • Enjoy and let me know how you get on

"Thou Shalt Not Follow a JOLIVER Recipe" is the third commandment in Ant's kitchen.

Will look into it, cheers.

"Thou Shalt Not Follow a JOLIVER Recipe" is the third commandment in Ant's kitchen.

Will look into it, cheers.
It was the packet one I tried, I bought two..... I will amend it with more butter and some spice when I make it next.

Yeah I noticed no butter/ghee in the ingredients list, suppose it'll go off fairly rapidly if it was included.

I'll try the recipe first as I have a bag of Urid, checkout the premade stuff when I'm near a Tesco superstore.

Urid is one of the most difficult to make. As it is very hard in consistency so takes a lot of time.

Here is my mum's recipe:
Put in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes, 3 mugs of water to 1 mug of deal. Add butter. Once soft add another mug of water and let it cook on a slow heat for approx 1 hour.

Onions, tomatoes, garlic and ginger.

Sautée onions, then add tomatoes. Once the paste realises oil then add garlic and ginger. Chilli and salt to taste. Once the paste releases oil add in the daal. Simple as that.

For the extra degree of auntheticity, just before serving heat up a tablespoon of ghee and add a tablespoon of dried Kasuri methi. Once fried in the ghee add to daal.

No problem Tony, daal Makhani is really the equivalent of a chicken tikka, it is developed to suit the English pallette. 'Makan' actually means butter which along with cream makes daal makhani.

If you want that real kick and punchy flavour drop the cream and really roast the massala.

No problem Tony, daal Makhani is really the equivalent of a chicken tikka, it is developed to suit the English pallette. 'Makan' actually means butter which along with cream makes daal makhani.
If you want that real kick and punchy flavour drop the cream and really roast the massala.

Mmmmm is that really so? From what I've read I thought it was a fairly authentic Punjabi dish not one created by Bengali immigrants and repatriated.

Honestly it is, just checked with the elders (I'm Hindu Punjabi). Daal Makhani is unheard of as a traditional daal.

Back
Top Bottom