Best thing since sliced bread....Razors......

If you have access to the BBC Sounds app, this is worth a listen. A bit of science, and a bit of chat about the environmental impact of carts. Warning for those of nervous disposition - a lot of talk about the difference between the 3 or 5 blades in cart systems. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001fmrj
Thanks for sharingit loads of apps on my phone and been meaning to use the BBC sounds app, so perfect thanks, will post my thoughts after I've listened to it

If you have access to the BBC Sounds app, this is worth a listen. Some science, and a valid chat about the environmental impact of carts. Warning for those of a nervous disposition - a lot of talk about the difference between the 3 & 5 blades systems. ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001fmrj
I heard the piece too - just as well I find shouting at the radio cathartic. You must be a lot more generous in spirit than me - it was an almost totally uncritical pr piece for Gillette et al. Granted - the spokesperson for Gillette was very good - how you can be that consistently disingenuous without actually lying takes a talent. Her explanation of why there is no independent research to match the claims made for their products - that no one else has the machines or expertise to judge them - is hilarious. Nobody did any research that agrees with them is much more likely a reason. The programme presented itself as a piece of consumer journalism - it wasn't. It was blatant pr. Why were traditional methods not covered? Total pish - a parallel universe. I do invite others to listen to it and see what they think themselves. Possibly the worst crime was that it appears acceptable these days for BBC broadcasters to use the phrase 'to reach out to.' No great surprise as we have just been through a world cup with 90% of the commentators not knowing what the plural of stadium is. Cheers - I.

...Why were traditional methods not covered?...

Most assuredly because we are less than 1% (if that) of all shavers in the World. A statistical anomaly. Not to shill for Gillette, but always remember that it was the French (Bic) who forced their hand in the plastic disposable market as we know now from a retired Gillette exec. that as late as the mid 1970's they considered plastic disposables a passing fad. We all know how that worked out. :whistle:

I heard the piece too - just as well I find shouting at the radio cathartic. You must be a lot more generous in spirit than me - it was an almost totally uncritical pr piece for Gillette et al. Granted - the spokesperson for Gillette was very good - how you can be that consistently disingenuous without actually lying takes a talent. Her explanation of why there is no independent research to match the claims made for their products - that no one else has the machines or expertise to judge them - is hilarious. Nobody did any research that agrees with them is much more likely a reason. The programme presented itself as a piece of consumer journalism - it wasn't. It was blatant pr. Why were traditional methods not covered? Total pish - a parallel universe. I do invite others to listen to it and see what they think themselves. Possibly the worst crime was that it appears acceptable these days for BBC broadcasters to use the phrase 'to reach out to.' No great surprise as we have just been through a world cup with 90% of the commentators not knowing what the plural of stadium is. Cheers - I.
This pretty much sums up my experience. I heard the programme on the day of broadcast and had before listening thought it might be worth sharing here. Once I'd heard it I realised it was pretty much rubbish for most people on here (I had forgotten about this specific forum, sorry!).

Yeah I'm not going to listen either. Let Gillette add another seven or eight blades to their cartridge razors and more and more stubble can get permanently trapped in between the blades!

I know, it's terrible. What got me further was I clicked on the link from somewhere like MSN and the icon was a straight razor with a comment about environmental impact. Assumed it would lead to a discussion about the positives of straights or DE razors. :unsure:

I know, it's terrible. What got me further was I clicked on the link from somewhere like MSN and the icon was a straight razor with a comment about environmental impact. Assumed it would lead to a discussion about the positives of straights or DE razors. :unsure:
Yes - I saw the same image and strap-line - used on the BBC player - and made the same mistake as to what it might be about - never mind - quality Ed Reardon moments ahoy! Asinine juvenility abounding............ - :) - I.

Most assuredly because we are less than 1% (if that) of all shavers in the World. A statistical anomaly. Not to shill for Gillette, but always remember that it was the French (Bic) who forced their hand in the plastic disposable market as we know now from a retired Gillette exec. that as late as the mid 1970's they considered plastic disposables a passing fad. We all know how that worked out. :whistle:
Traditional wet shavers with internet access might make up 1% of the shaving population, but I can assure you that well over half of the world's population still shaves with DE razors, or did ten years ago.

Back
Top Bottom