Best Piccalilli?

We all know there's nothing quite like piccalilli on a pork pie :icon_wink:

Question is what is do you believe is the best tasting piccalilli that is practically available in the high street or on-line?

Personally I quite like Heinz and have been told Asda's sweet piccalilli is one to look out for. There's also a nice locally made piccalilli at Chorley market but I wouldn't say that's practical for everyone.

Of course this is very much a YMMV kind of thing, but was hoping for some consensus.

BTW: If you don't like piccalilli you don't need to respond.

We were on holiday near Windermere and stumbled across a real ale festival. They had home made piccalilli and it was superb.

I like the Asda one but half a jar later and your pee is bring yellow/glow in the dark!

Have you tried pickled grapes?

Wha burst the ba said:
We were on holiday near Windermere and stumbled across a real ale festival. They had home made piccalilli and it was superb.

I like the Asda one but half a jar later and your pee is bring yellow/glow in the dark!

Have you tried pickled grapes?

I've made my own batch which should be just about ready now, I did it last year and was great compared to the normal bought stuff. I use this recipe but put the veg in brine first like this recipe and use some of the spices from that too.

Cunninghams from Sheffield is the best I've ever had. http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/condiments/cunninghams_piccalilli_450g.html

Some good ideas there to try, thanks.
I once made piccalilli when I was a student and it was pretty good, so might give it another go (30 years later).
I can't even imagine what pickled grapes taste like, so that's on my wish-list now.

fancontroller said:
Some good ideas there to try, thanks.
I once made piccalilli when I was a student and it was pretty good, so might give it another go (30 years later).
I can't even imagine what pickled grapes taste like, so that's on my wish-list now.

Cut the tip of the stalk end off, throw into white wine vinegar with some sugar in it, wait till they boil and then into hot jars.

They taste unusually like....................grapes. My head keeps telling me they should taste like onions!!!

Back
Top Bottom