Best never to go back?

Fido said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18073446

I never have thought it a good idea to go back. Perhaps it works sometimes - not in this case.

Never ever a good idea to go back, it's rare it ever works out well. I am glad Matt LeTissier hasn't come back to Southampton as a manager. There was talk, as there always is and he has a certain amount of coaching qualifications. But team legends, as ever team has are best left that way.

In terms of the player turning into a manager, that can work out (see Chris Powell at Charlton at the moment) but with respect to managers returning to previous seats of glory... I think it's unlikely to be a good move. One of the main reasons for this is that clubs change managers when fortunes are down. A manager of a 'glory days' team is going to be brought back when things are in decline and so, after the usual boost in form at the outset, he is left with a team that will never achieve the same level of success as before.

Couple that with today's lack of patience and, as often as not, they are in and out within 18 months.

The league form was far from good enough, but there's another trophy n the cabinet that wasn't there a year ago.

From what Dalglish has given to the club and the city over the years, I think his reputation will survive this blip.

Back
Top Bottom