Best DE shave sofar

daz

I tried the Boots blades in the razor for a few days first and they felt good, I then tried some Wilkinson Sword ones. They could well be made in the same place but they didn't feel as nice as the Boots ones, it could be in my technique but I didn't like them much.

This morning however I stuck in a Feather I was given by another forum member (Tackleberry, cheers!) All I can say is fantastic and very smooth indeed! A very comfortable and smooth shave with two passes. I did however manage to nick myslelf on the second pass, well it was actually more than a nick and it bled quite a bit, but it was entirely my fault as I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I followed up with some Speick AS which was also gifted by a forum member (Helveticum, cheers to you too!) Excellent stuff and something I will be adding to my ever growing collection.

The only two problems I have with any of the above are
A) I only wish I needed to shave more than once a day:icon_sad:
B) The Speick faded all too quickly:icon_sad:

All in all though a very pleaseant start to the day.

daz

The Feather blades are quite good but I also find the Astra and Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge equally as good and cheaper, I don't have any of those left at the moment otherwise I would send you some. The Feathers lasted longer though, maybe 3-5 shaves for me whereas the Blue Diamonds etc last 2-3 max but are far far cheaper.

Yeah, I started DE shaving with an EJ 89 and Tesco's blades, they're the same Personnas as Boots. I preferred them to Derby Extras and the Wilkinsons. I then got a sample pack off Connaught. Put a Feather in and was astonished at the difference, I could get away with two passes instead of three. The 7 o'clock yellows are very popular here but I prefer the Platinums they just seem to be the right combination of sharpness and smoothness for me. Other blades I liked were Personna Platinums and Astra Platinums.

The Mackem Shaver said:
Yeah, I started DE shaving with an EJ 89 and Tesco's blades, they're the same Personnas as Boots. I preferred them to Derby Extras and the Wilkinsons. I then got a sample pack off Connaught. Put a Feather in and was astonished at the difference, I could get away with two passes instead of three. The 7 o'clock yellows are very popular here but I prefer the Platinums they just seem to be the right combination of sharpness and smoothness for me. Other blades I liked were Personna Platinums and Astra Platinums.

I have tried many DE razor blades over the years, but my own personal choice is:

1) Iridium
2) Feather
3) Gillette Super Thin
4) Personna Platinum
5) Astra Platinum

I also found that by trial & error using the same blade in another DE razor gave better results. i.e. In my Feather AS1 the Gillette super thin gives a great shave as apposed too using an Astra blade.

And again this time using my ikon OSS DE razor, I tried an Personna platinum not a good shave. Changed too a Feather blade wonderful. Of my five DE razors all so very different, I use different DE blades that suit each one. (or for me at least)

Hope this helps

daz said:
I tried the Boots blades in the razor for a few days first and they felt good, I then tried some Wilkinson Sword ones. They could well be made in the same place but they didn't feel as nice as the Boots ones, it could be in my technique but I didn't like them much.

This morning however I stuck in a Feather I was given by another forum member (Tackleberry, cheers!) All I can say is fantastic and very smooth indeed! A very comfortable and smooth shave with two passes. I did however manage to nick myslelf on the second pass, well it was actually more than a nick and it bled quite a bit, but it was entirely my fault as I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. I followed up with some Speick AS which was also gifted by a forum member (Helveticum, cheers to you too!) Excellent stuff and something I will be adding to my ever growing collection.

The only two problems I have with any of the above are
A) I only wish I needed to shave more than once a day:icon_sad:
B) The Speick faded all too quickly:icon_sad:

All in all though a very pleaseant start to the day.

daz

i doubt you will be the only member who shaves in morning then again at night because they can't wait to try another blade

I used to do that when I was learning technique. And to enjoy it and try out new blades! My skin doesn't take too kindly to it now since I am more thorough than when I started out

My best shaves are with Weber/Astra blades. I don't usually use Astras as they don't really work for me but in Weber.. I actually thought I'd forgotten to put the blade in first, there was just NO sensation of a blade edge on the skin. Boy was that a smooth shave! But yeah, although this is nirvana of course I still go to SEs, slant and open combs just for fun :)

P.S. Darren, AS in my opinion should fade rather quickly :) If you want a lingering smell, there's a Speick EdT (although I've not tried it, but given the quality of all their products I'm sure it's good).
This is the only review I've found, but given an idea.

Back
Top Bottom